Linux won't recognize SB / CDROM

Post by Jim O'She » Mon, 19 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I have a Creative Labs Soundblaster 16 multimedia kit that came with a
Sony CDU33A CDROM drive.  I have it installed in a 486/33 with 8meg RAM.
 I have tried the sbpcd and cdu31a kernels without any luck.  The system
will not recognize the CDROM.  I would appreciate any suggestions or
ideas that anyone might be able to give to me.  Please CC response
in email form to me.

World Wide Web          www.i1.net/~jimoshea/

Post by Craig L. Batema » Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I have a Creative Labs Soundblaster 16 multimedia kit that came with a
> Sony CDU33A CDROM drive.  I have it installed in a 486/33 with 8meg RAM.
>  I have tried the sbpcd and cdu31a kernels without any luck.  The system
> will not recognize the CDROM.

I also am having this problem only mine is a "soundblaster pro" fake,
both it and the CD-rom itself are made by "Reveal".  I was told that
this was a mitsumi, but the mitsumi kernels don't work.  I ended up
installing off of ftp'd disks, but I would like to get my cd-rom
working.

Thank you in advance

Craig Bateman

Please e-mail this one, I rarely check the newsgroups

Post by eeni.. » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I have a Creative Labs Soundblaster 16 multimedia kit that came with a
>Sony CDU33A CDROM drive.  I have it installed in a 486/33 with 8meg RAM.
> I have tried the sbpcd and cdu31a kernels without any luck.  The system
>will not recognize the CDROM.  I would appreciate any suggestions or
>ideas that anyone might be able to give to me.  Please CC response
>in email form to me.

>Thanks,

>--

>World Wide Web              www.i1.net/~jimoshea/

Howdy  I will take a stab at it.  Did you edit your header file?
I have a soundblaster/panasonic setup and I needed to edit
sbpcd.h file in order to put the correct I/O stats in, THEN
recompile.   Anyway those are my 2cents worth  ernie

1. 'Toolkit for Linux' won't recognize CDROM

Hi, I'm new to Linux and trying to install it on my computer.  I bought
the 'Toolkit for Linux' from Walnut Creek.  When I used the scsi boot
disk and color144 root disk, it would recognize my SCSI controller (Pro
Audio Spectrum 16) but not the SCSI CDROM attached to it.  Finally, I
copied the A disks onto floppies and installed with those.  I thought
then I might be able to mount it.  As instructed in the CDROM-HOWTO, I ran:

mknod /dev/sr0 b 11 0
and
mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom

but it said that /dev/sr0 was not a valid block device.  Doesn't the 'b'
in the mknod command create it as a block device?
Also, I read in another post to
cat /proc/devices
and
cat /proc/filesystems

to find out about my active devices, but I have neither of those files.
Any ideas?  I don't want to install ALL of the Linux stuff by disk!
                                Thanks.
                                        Emil Aalto

2. help: external modem on redhat 6.1

3. Linux:Won't recognize CDROM after installation

4. PLEASE HELP - FILE MANIPULATION

5. Linux won't recognize CDROM

6. Deinstall Oracle- how?

7. linux won't recognise cdrom - help please

8. How to test for empty string variable w/ ksh ??

9. LINUX won't recognize my CDROM

10. CDROM: Linux won't recognize it- Please help

11. Redhat Linux won't recognize my Pioneer CDROM

12. Changed cdrom setting now linux won't recognize it

13. Linux 1.0.9 not recognizing SB cdrom/sound card