Shutdown from X hangs due to gpm

Post by Bo Berggre » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I installed RedHat 5.1 on a Dell Latitude laptop. Everything works like
a charm except when I want to shut down the system from within X.

In an xterm ssuing the command: shutdown -h now
causes gpm to hang (gpm -k). I doesn't matter if i have an external PS/2
mouse connected or use the builtin PS/2 device. Has anyone solved this
problem ? Any ideas ?

Post by s. keeli » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I installed RedHat 5.1 on a Dell Latitude laptop. Everything works like
> a charm except when I want to shut down the system from within X.

> In an xterm ssuing the command: shutdown -h now
> causes gpm to hang (gpm -k). I doesn't matter if i have an external PS/2

If you can figure out how to get Redhat to do it, run gpm in
"repeater" mode, with the "-R" switch.  Then in X, use device
"/dev/gpmdata", protocol "MouseSystems".

The last time I shutdown from X (a long, long time ago), it just
killed X and left me at a console prompt.  Now, I kill X and shutdown
from console.  My laptop handles the three finger salute well though;
C-A-D does a clean reboot.

--

                            TopQuark Software & Serv. Enquire within.

1. RH52 shutdown hang - gpm services

Hola-
With a new install of RH52 (kernel 2.0.36, I think), the shutdown process
hangs while closing gpm mouse services. I have a PS2 Microsoft Intellimouse
and selected that during the install. The only way to quit the hang is to
unplug the mouse from the back of the box. Any thoughts on how to fix this,
or how do I load a generic mouse driver?
Thanks,
Erik

2. X crash when using terminal

3. Shutdown hangs on gpm Services

4. floppy won't mount

5. Freeze apparently due to USB deactivation at shutdown

6. RPC over NAT with iptables

7. gpm interfering the shutdown process

8. NFS errors with Jumpstart

9. Shutdown problem with gpm

10. GPM-1.09 & X ( trying to use GPM as mouse )

11. Mouse/X Windows: GPM repeater (gpm -R, /dev/gpmdata) problem

12. KERNEL HANG: due to tcpdump on machine doing ip_masquerading?

13. Gnome hangs on startup due to missing saved metacity session