"modem busy" error using DIP?

Post by wel.. » Fri, 03 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Any ideas why I would be getting a "modem busy" error when tring to
use DIP?

1. Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error

First off----I DONT HAVE A WINMODEM.....(just wanted to get that out of the
way first)....its a internal ISA USRobotics 56k Voice V.90 .....

Dual boot system, with Win98 and Redhat 6.0, modem is on Com2 ( I think
TTYS1.....right??)

So, I'm trying to setup PPP, I think I've got it all setup correctly(w/ all
my ISP's info ) , Currently I'm logged in as ROOT and trying to dial out.
PPPD trys to dial but gives me the following error...

"Sorry, the modem is busy"    retry/cancel

Not sure where to go from here, I've read alot of documentation (about three
hours worth), I dont think its a permissions problem since I'm logged in as
ROOT.

Secondly, I've created a user account in my name, and gave it the
permissions I want, but when I log in under that account, and try to dial
out, I get an error like
"you need to remove the lock option"..blah blah blah......(makes me think I
dont have permissions to some folder I need ....)

So then I thought...I'll create a "dial-out" group, and add my user account
into it,...but after I add myself in  and go back and check, my membership
has dissapeared.....What gives..???

I would think its a bad idea to dial-out logged in as ROOT, so I would like
a clean option that entails me logging in as my user account and being able
to dial out....

THANKS......jason

2. how pcl,postscript switching

3. Can't see modem/"modem busy" error

4. OT: Which is the best *nix to learn for getting a job?

6. GRUB and non-first HDD

7. tip reports "all ports busy" on a not-at-all busy modem

8. NIC

9. "modem busy" error: suggestions?

11. Error "The requested resource is busy " using tape

12. Using "if" in "ksh" to change "for loop" values....

13. problem seting up modem SupraExpress 56iPro: "Sorry, the modem is busy"