Is it the active partition? I suppose not. Loadlin is a safe choice.Quote:> Loaded RH5.0 to the first sector of the boot partition, and can't get
> it to boot.
??????Quote:> Using Loadlin1.6 C:\loadlin\loadlin I get the message that
> loadlin started at dos prompt. But when I use C:\loadlin\linux I get
> this error C:\loadlin\zimage root=/dev/hdb5 ro vga=3 image file not
--Quote:> found. please enter name of kernel image file. Help me I am lost!!!!!
> I tried using LILO and could boot linux but could not get back to dos
> or win95. I used diskdruid instead of fdisk and am using a small HD
> Thanks from a newbie Doug Watson
1. Installing modular driver on loadlin startup (newbie) OR reading boot floppy (Mandrake)
My situation, as I see it.
I'm a newbie using Mandrake. I need to start linux using loadlin (I
have a soundcard that must be initialized in DOS). I have transferred
the kernal from the /boot directory to the C: drive (a maxtor 10.2 GB
drive as /dev/hda ) and everything boots well except--when linux tries
to mount the file system it fails on my SCSI drive (quantum fireball 1.2
GB) which is attached to an Adaptec 2940 and suggests that I may need an
insmod driver. This is true because when I type from a console in root
"insmod aic7xxx" the machine pauses for a moment and then the SCSI drive
I can also boot from a floppy (set up when I installed Mandrake)
that uses LILO to boot. In this case after the kernal fails to see the
SCSI card the module is loaded, finds the card and my filesystem loads
normally. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to mount the floppy (i
get a bad superblock error) to find out what is being passed on to the
kernal by LILO to allow it to boot.
Solutions as I see it could be either:
a) figure out how to read (mount) my boot floppy to allow me to
figure out what the mandrake install did right that I did wrong or
b) find out how to load aic7xxx at boot time using loadlin.
Thanks for any assistance.
2. Solaris real-time thread capabilities
3. Newbie Problems with LOADLIN
5. Trouble booting with loadlin from win98's boot.ini !
7. loadlin vs. floppy disk boot problems
8. Automate "shutting" down the server!
9. Boot problems with UMSDOS,loadlin and lilo
10. linux 1.1.81 - loadlin and boot problems
11. Problem with boot from SCSI via loadlin
12. Boot problem after using loadlin
13. Loadlin+WD36440 boot problem: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03