Major linux problem "permissions"

Post by Robert L » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I've designed a few web pages and added some perl scripts, now the
> problem, no one can access the scripts, root can't, users can't.  It
> says "permission denied" or something like that.  I've tried every way
> possible to fix this, maybe there is a bug with mandrake 6.2 ???

> I've set the permission for everyone to excute,read,etc...And the cgi
> is in the right directory.

> I never seen anything like this before, I've posted msg. on every
> linux ng, and everyone more or less says the same thing "chmod XXX,
> etc"

> Well, I've been over everything, and this is really holding back my
> learning process.

> I'm ready to build another linux machine and try again, or maybe just
> D/L a program that will allow me to program in perl on my windows
> machine.

> I want to set up a linux web server, I have all the how-to's, book,
> etc.  But with all the problems, one has to wonder: there has got to
> be a better way to do this.

> I love Linux, but when you are trying to learn something and the OS is
> holding you back, that is not acceptable.  With linux there are way to
> many silly undocumented problems specific to one machine, one install,
> or one distro.

> I'd love is someone can hold me get past this hurdle so I can continue
> to learn more and more....

I think it's apache ( is it the webserver you use?) that don't accept perl
script. you have to configure it. I'm using xitami webserver ( for windows )
and there's an option to accept/refuse perl script ( cgi and other ).
I know i don't help a lot, the only help i can give is to verify apache
howto and other docs.

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I've designed a few web pages and added some perl scripts, now the
>problem, no one can access the scripts, root can't, users can't.  It
>says "permission denied" or something like that.  I've tried every way
>possible to fix this, maybe there is a bug with mandrake 6.2 ???

Are these in a user's home directory under public_html being accessed
through the web server?  Most recent user admin tools will create
the home directory itself as rwx only for the owner.

Quote:>I've set the permission for everyone to excute,read,etc...And the cgi
>is in the right directory.

It isn't 'just' that directory.  All directories above must
also be accessable to the httpd process which is probably
running as user 'nobody'.

Quote:>I never seen anything like this before, I've posted msg. on every
>linux ng, and everyone more or less says the same thing "chmod XXX,
>etc"

Try doing 'su nobody' and accessing the directories and files in
question to see if it really is a permission problem.

  Les Mikesell

Major linux problem "permissions"

Post by Nicholas Muriso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Sounds like you are trying to run the CGI-scripts through the
web-server.  In which case, you have to declare in the server
configuration that the directory in which the scripts are located are
accessible and can be used to run scripts from.  You'll have to refer to
the web-server documentation for more on how to set up a CGI directory.
--
Nicholas John Murison
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post by bostu.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > I've designed a few web pages and added some perl scripts, now the
> > problem, no one can access the scripts, root can't, users can't.  It
> > says "permission denied" or something like that.  I've tried every
way
> > possible to fix this, maybe there is a bug with mandrake 6.2 ???

> > I've set the permission for everyone to excute,read,etc...And the
cgi
> > is in the right directory.

> > I never seen anything like this before, I've posted msg. on every
> > linux ng, and everyone more or less says the same thing "chmod XXX,
> > etc"

> > Well, I've been over everything, and this is really holding back my
> > learning process.

> > I'm ready to build another linux machine and try again, or maybe
just
> > D/L a program that will allow me to program in perl on my windows
> > machine.

> > I want to set up a linux web server, I have all the how-to's, book,
> > etc.  But with all the problems, one has to wonder: there has got to
> > be a better way to do this.

> > I love Linux, but when you are trying to learn something and the OS
is
> > holding you back, that is not acceptable.  With linux there are way
> > many silly undocumented problems specific to one machine, one
install,
> > or one distro.

> > I'd love is someone can hold me get past this hurdle so I can
continue
> > to learn more and more....

> I think it's apache ( is it the webserver you use?) that don't accept
perl
> script. you have to configure it. I'm using xitami webserver ( for
windows )
> and there's an option to accept/refuse perl script ( cgi and other ).
> I know i don't help a lot, the only help i can give is to verify
apache
> howto and other docs.

Robert may be on the right track. Have you tried running the scripts
from a
shell account (not through the web server) first? This will tell you if
permissions for the FILES and DIRECTORIES are correct. Then you can
worry
about web access later.

One thing you have to make sure of is that the DIRECTORY that the CGI
scripts are in has execute permission for the web users (otherwise, the
user
won't be able to "cd" into it,) and that the web server's directories
are
owned by the default web user (usually "nobody" or "pcguest"
or "wwwuser" or
similar. An alternative is that the files and directories are owned by
the
same group that the default web user belongs to.

-- Rich C.
"Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I've designed a few web pages and added some perl scripts, now the
>problem, no one can access the scripts, root can't, users can't.  It
>says "permission denied" or something like that.  I've tried every way
>possible to fix this, maybe there is a bug with mandrake 6.2 ???

>I've set the permission for everyone to excute,read,etc...And the cgi
>is in the right directory.

>I never seen anything like this before, I've posted msg. on every
>linux ng, and everyone more or less says the same thing "chmod XXX,
>etc"

Do you have ExecCGI in the server Options for that dir?  If it is not in a
ScriptAlias directory do you also have 'AddHandler cgi-script .cgi'?

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

Major linux problem "permissions"

Post by Full Na » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

To get ASP's to work on IIS you click on the "execute" check box in
the properties dialog for the virtual directory storing the ASP's.

Linux - you get what you pay for.

Post by Arjan Driem » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I've designed a few web pages and added some perl scripts, now the
>problem, no one can access the scripts, root can't, users can't.  It
>says "permission denied" or something like that.  I've tried every way
>possible to fix this, maybe there is a bug with mandrake 6.2 ???

No one can access them how?  Read them with a text editor, write them,
execute them from a browser, what?  What's the script's permissions
set to and who owns the files?  What's the directory's permissions
set to and who owns the directory?

Arjan

Post by JEDIDI » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>To get ASP's to work on IIS you click on the "execute" check box in
>the properties dialog for the virtual directory storing the ASP's.

>Linux - you get what you pay for.

        There are such tools present for Apache as well.

        WinDOS has no advantage here.

        Besides, you're a webmaster now: you should be able to do more
        than just flip switches like a trained monkey.

>>I've designed a few web pages and added some perl scripts, now the
>>problem, no one can access the scripts, root can't, users can't.  It
>>says "permission denied" or something like that.  I've tried every way
>>possible to fix this, maybe there is a bug with mandrake 6.2 ???

>>I've set the permission for everyone to excute,read,etc...And the cgi
>>is in the right directory.

>>I never seen anything like this before, I've posted msg. on every
>>linux ng, and everyone more or less says the same thing "chmod XXX,
>>etc"

>>Well, I've been over everything, and this is really holding back my
>>learning process.

>>I'm ready to build another linux machine and try again, or maybe just
>>D/L a program that will allow me to program in perl on my windows
>>machine.

>>I want to set up a linux web server, I have all the how-to's, book,
>>etc.  But with all the problems, one has to wonder: there has got to
>>be a better way to do this.

>>I love Linux, but when you are trying to learn something and the OS is
>>holding you back, that is not acceptable.  With linux there are way to
>>many silly undocumented problems specific to one machine, one install,
>>or one distro.

>>I'd love is someone can hold me get past this hurdle so I can continue
>>to learn more and more....

                                                                       / | \

                                      Need sane PPP docs? Try penguin.lvcm.com.

Major linux problem "permissions"

Post by Chuck Swige » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> To get ASP's to work on IIS you click on the "execute" check box in
> the properties dialog for the virtual directory storing the ASP's.

> Linux - you get what you pay for.

You betcha, at least if you have a clue as to what you're doing.

If you don't care about security or performance, and you need a
point-'n-drool GUI in order to successfully configure a webserver,
then IIS may well suit your requirements better.

Followups redirected to .advocacy.  :-)

-Chuck

       ------------------------+-------------------+--------------------
       I know that you are an optimist if you think I am a pessimist....

Major linux problem "permissions"

Post by Leslie Mikese » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>To get ASP's to work on IIS you click on the "execute" check box in
>the properties dialog for the virtual directory storing the ASP's.

Except that it may not work unless you have also in some unrelated
dialog checked the 'use low security' checkbox, and nothing will
give any indication at all that this is required.  (This is at
least the case where the ASP is picking up xml from another
source and applying an xsl transformation.  Who knows where
else it would apply).

Quote:>Linux - you get what you pay for.

And much more.

  Les Mikesell

Major linux problem "permissions"

Post by 2:1 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

1 Make sure all parent directories of the  directory stroing the scripts
has rx permissions for everybody.
2 Make sure all the scripts have rx permissions for everybody
<checks web server configuration>
look at the file /etc/httpd/conf/srm.conf  (on RH5.2 anyway)
edit it it and search for the ScriptAlias entries. Add one(s) for the
script directories that you want, such as:
ScriptAlias /usercgi /home/user/cgi-bin
This will allow web browsers to access cgi scripts in `users' cgi
directory. They will appear to be in host/usercgi/

HTH

-Ed

--
The day of judgement cometh. Join us O sinful one...

http://fuji.stcatz.ox.ac.uk/cult/index.html

Major linux problem "permissions"

Post by Steve Marti » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Is apache allowed to execute cgi's?
What are the permissions set to? Do they perl script need to be run suid
root? If so, you may need
#! /usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/perl -$
or on RH 6.2 just use
#! /usr/bin/suidperl

I had a similar problem and if they need be suid,
chmod 4751 *.pl
and try either sudo or suidperl