yamaha OPL3-SAx

yamaha OPL3-SAx

Post by Ben » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00



i'm running kernel 2.0.33 and am trying to get my sound to work.. i
compilied in sb16 compatability, as well as a few other sound things.. i
think midi support and the GENERIC OPL2/OPL3 FM support... but nothing
happened after i installed the kernel... no "pop" on the speakers...
nothing... has anyone had any luch with setting one of these up?? anything i
need to do? thanks in advance

 
 
 

yamaha OPL3-SAx

Post by Ahmed Abukmai » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00


I hav eteh same card on my Dell XPS PII 266, and I have had NO LUCK
installing it, and it was taking lots of time, so I figured work is more
important than all this time. So what I did, I went to
www.opensound.com/linux.html and I downloaded the trial version of their
commercial driver. It worked fine for me, and it was so easy of an install,
maybe  1 minute to install it. After I made sure it works find with me, I
sent them $20 and got my full version of the sound driver. No problems, and
now I can listen  to my CD's while working on my machine at home. So my
suggestion is that if you don't have the time, and you can spare the $20,
then go for it and buy it. But first try it out to make sure that it is
what you want.

Good Luck

Ahmed


Quote:> i'm running kernel 2.0.33 and am trying to get my sound to work.. i
> compilied in sb16 compatability, as well as a few other sound things.. i
> think midi support and the GENERIC OPL2/OPL3 FM support... but nothing
> happened after i installed the kernel... no "pop" on the speakers...
> nothing... has anyone had any luch with setting one of these up??
anything i
> need to do? thanks in advance


 
 
 

yamaha OPL3-SAx

Post by Dave Hiebel » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00


I was also having no luck getting the Yamaha OPL3-SA3 in my Toshiba
Satellite Pro 480CDT, and was getting discouraged after seeing several
people here also reporting problems.  I had tried several times using
the IRQ and DMA settings that I read under Windows 95, but it never
worked.  Finally I followed the experiences someone listed on a
Toshiba 440 CDX (linked to on the "Linux on Laptops" page), with
settings for both SB and MSS sound, and now it works fine for me -- at
least for playing CD's.  I haven't tried anything more sophisticated
than that.

--
Dave Hiebeler     ~{:#DZ4fV*<:#,LlQDHt1HAZ~}
Graduate student in Applied Math / Ecology, Cornell University
To send me e-mail, change "corn-hell" to "cornell" in my address.

 
 
 

yamaha OPL3-SAx

Post by Thomas T. Veldhous » Wed, 18 Mar 1998 04:00:00



> I hav eteh same card on my Dell XPS PII 266, and I have had NO LUCK
> installing it, and it was taking lots of time, so I figured work is more
> important than all this time. So what I did, I went to
> www.opensound.com/linux.html and I downloaded the trial version of their
> commercial driver. It worked fine for me, and it was so easy of an install,
> maybe  1 minute to install it. After I made sure it works find with me, I
> sent them $20 and got my full version of the sound driver. No problems, and
> now I can listen  to my CD's while working on my machine at home. So my
> suggestion is that if you don't have the time, and you can spare the $20,
> then go for it and buy it. But first try it out to make sure that it is
> what you want.

> Good Luck

> Ahmed


> > i'm running kernel 2.0.33 and am trying to get my sound to work.. i
> > compilied in sb16 compatability, as well as a few other sound things.. i
> > think midi support and the GENERIC OPL2/OPL3 FM support... but nothing
> > happened after i installed the kernel... no "pop" on the speakers...
> > nothing... has anyone had any luch with setting one of these up??
> anything i
> > need to do? thanks in advance

  Definitely worth the $20.  I tried compiling the kernel and different isapnp
settings over about 20 times before I gave up.  I must have rebooted at least
40 times.  What a waste of my time.  Just download the OSS version and use
it.  Make sure you compile your kernel with module support, but NO sound
support.  Also, if you have the PIIX, Intel Chipset (APM), or the Intel
AL440LX Motherboard, make sure you reconfigure the basic setup so that nothing
is using IRQ 9.  The Intel chipset uses it and it can not be changed,
furthermore, the OSS driver will default to using it.  If you let it use the
defaults, your computer will lock up when ever you use  MIDI, or even go into
X-Windows.

Tom Veldhouse

 
 
 

yamaha OPL3-SAx

Post by Federi » Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:00:00


I too got sick of playing with my sound config and downloaded the
trial version of OSS. It installed painlessly in a few seconds.
[as a tip, don't forget to remove sound support before you install
 OSS, it reminds you if you forget anyway ;) ]

I am willing to plop down my $20, but first I have to figure out why
I cannot record properly (or is that I am just incorrectly playing back
what I record ;) I get a lot of noise.

Playing an .au file sounds normal though.

I have an AL440LX Intel MB with builtin OPL3/OPL4 running a PII 233MH

     \
-=]Prashant>-
     /


: > I hav eteh same card on my Dell XPS PII 266, and I have had NO LUCK
: > installing it, and it was taking lots of time, so I figured work is more
: > important than all this time. So what I did, I went to
: > www.opensound.com/linux.html and I downloaded the trial version of their
: > commercial driver. It worked fine for me, and it was so easy of an install,
: > maybe  1 minute to install it. After I made sure it works find with me, I
: > sent them $20 and got my full version of the sound driver. No problems, and
: > now I can listen  to my CD's while working on my machine at home. So my
: > suggestion is that if you don't have the time, and you can spare the $20,
: > then go for it and buy it. But first try it out to make sure that it is
: > what you want.
: >
: > Good Luck
: >
: > Ahmed
: >

: > > i'm running kernel 2.0.33 and am trying to get my sound to work.. i
: > > compilied in sb16 compatability, as well as a few other sound things.. i
: > > think midi support and the GENERIC OPL2/OPL3 FM support... but nothing
: > > happened after i installed the kernel... no "pop" on the speakers...
: > > nothing... has anyone had any luch with setting one of these up??
: > anything i
: > > need to do? thanks in advance
: > >
: > >
: > >

:   Definitely worth the $20.  I tried compiling the kernel and different isapnp
: settings over about 20 times before I gave up.  I must have rebooted at least
: 40 times.  What a waste of my time.  Just download the OSS version and use
: it.  Make sure you compile your kernel with module support, but NO sound
: support.  Also, if you have the PIIX, Intel Chipset (APM), or the Intel
: AL440LX Motherboard, make sure you reconfigure the basic setup so that nothing
: is using IRQ 9.  The Intel chipset uses it and it can not be changed,
: furthermore, the OSS driver will default to using it.  If you let it use the
: defaults, your computer will lock up when ever you use  MIDI, or even go into
: X-Windows.

: Tom Veldhouse

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
  Prashant Inamti    web: http://www.gatekey.com/~prosh

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

 
 
 

yamaha OPL3-SAx

Post by Lance Tos » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00


I got my OPL3-SAx (or is it SA2?) chip to (mostly) work using the latest
OSS/Free drivers.  It's in my Hitachi Visionbook Plus laptop.  You can
take a look at a little HOWTO where I describe my settings, etc:
http://www.pobox.com/~ltost/Linux/VisionbookPlus-HOWTO.html


> I too got sick of playing with my sound config and downloaded the
> trial version of OSS. It installed painlessly in a few seconds.
> [as a tip, don't forget to remove sound support before you install
>  OSS, it reminds you if you forget anyway ;) ]

> I am willing to plop down my $20, but first I have to figure out why
> I cannot record properly (or is that I am just incorrectly playing back
> what I record ;) I get a lot of noise.

> Playing an .au file sounds normal though.

> I have an AL440LX Intel MB with builtin OPL3/OPL4 running a PII 233MH

>      \
> -=]Prashant>-
>      /

<snip>

Quote:> :   Definitely worth the $20.  I tried compiling the kernel and different isapnp
> : settings over about 20 times before I gave up.  I must have rebooted at least
> : 40 times.  What a waste of my time.  Just download the OSS version and use
> : it.  Make sure you compile your kernel with module support, but NO sound
> : support.  Also, if you have the PIIX, Intel Chipset (APM), or the Intel
> : AL440LX Motherboard, make sure you reconfigure the basic setup so that nothing
> : is using IRQ 9.  The Intel chipset uses it and it can not be changed,
> : furthermore, the OSS driver will default to using it.  If you let it use the
> : defaults, your computer will lock up when ever you use  MIDI, or even go into
> : X-Windows.

--

Public key available at:
        http://www.pobox.com/~ltost/pgp-public-key.asc

 
 
 

1. Yamaha OPL3-SAX sound card...

Folks,

   I"ve got a Yamaha OPL3-SAx PNP sound card that I *cannot* get
configured to work properly.  I'm using a slightly updated version of
RedHat 4.1, isapnptools-1.11, and the 2.0.27 kernel on a dual PPro 180
system.  The motherboard is a Tyan 1668D and the rest of the hardware
seems to be working properly.  Has *anyone* gotten a working
isapnp.conf/kernel configuration for this card?  I've been browsing
DejaNews, the Web, and the ISAPNPTOOLS page for the past 6 hours trying
to figure this out.  The documentation for how to set up an isapnp.conf
file is confusing, to say the least.  If anyone else has managed to get
it to work, I'd love to know how.

  In case you're curious, the rest of the system includes:

1 2.1 GB Seagate EIDE Disk
1 3.2 GB Quantum Ultra-ATA
1 Matrix Mystique 220 w/4 MB
1 TEAC floppy drive
1 HP Colorado T3000 tape drive
1 6X Mitsumi CD-ROM drive

   Other than the sound, it's a great system -- fast as hell, too.
Can't wait to overclock the thing...

regards,
Jim Wiggs

2. Bug in tmpfs??

3. Yamaha OPL3-SAx

4. XL266 and kernel 2.4 woes

5. YAMAHA OPL3-SAx WDM

6. Mandrake 8.2 problem

7. Yamaha OPL3-SAx

8. Apple Powerbooks on Linux

9. Yamaha OPL3-SAx sound?

10. Found Solution to Yamaha OPL3-SAx soundcard config!

11. Yamaha OPL3-SAx Sound Card in 2.2.5or 2.2.6 using Luigi Drivers

12. Yamaha OPL3-SAx solved!

13. Yamaha OPL3-SAx an RH 5.2