date reset as UTC from time to time RH6.0

date reset as UTC from time to time RH6.0

Post by Thierry de Villeneuv » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

From time to time the date of a system I've newly configured with RH6.0
gets set as UTC, thus localtime shows up a -0800 offset. I'm in PDT
timezone.

'date -u' reports the localtime !!!

/etc/sysconfig/clock is set with GMT="no".

I haven't found why there is no $TZ on this system (I'm mostly a HPUX
guy).

I'm using xntp3-5.93-12.i386.rpm installed from the RPMS of the RH6.0
cd.

I've removed linuxconf from the rc. Nothing gets reported in
/var/log/messages but xntpd complaining the jump is to high for him.
Most of the time it kills xntpd.

This time reset happens very randomly and is not related to any
particular user activity on the system nor cronted jobs.

I've never had such a problem on all my RH5.2.

If somebody has a hint on this please let me know, otherwise I'll have
tomorrow to s*everything and drop that RH6.0 for a - more stable -
5.2.

Thanks a lot,
Thierry

date reset as UTC from time to time RH6.0

Post by Paul Kimo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm not sure about the rest of your problems, but ...

Quote:> I haven't found why there is no $TZ on this system (I'm mostly a HPUX
> guy).

the glibc developers consider the normal usage of $TZ to be a sign of
brokenness.

--

1. date/time of a file compare with current date/time

Hi,

I hope i can drop my question about Linux shell programming here?

I'm writing a script in bash to find files. I'm using the slocate
programm, which is being runned every hour using a cron job, to create
it's database.

Now i want to know how long it is ago that the database has been
recreated. Zo i need to check the date and time from that file and
compare it with the current date and time. I know there must be easy to
do but i can't find the trick to do it.

Maikel van Gorkom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. libXpm???

3. run time date and syslog date/time conflict

4. SCO hangs during installation (EIDE CDROM Problems)

5. Default UTC time vs local time in kernel

6. xiafspgm-0.8.tar.Z (Don't use old xfsck with linux-0.99.7)

7. New files date is UTC hours ahead of RTC and system time

8. xfontsel program

9. convert UT time in local time / local time in UT time

10. time time time how can I tell the time

11. Date/Time reset to 1970 after reboot

12. UE250 resets date and time ????

13. How do you reset file date time stamp