help with setting up newsfeed

Post by Thor » Thu, 31 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hey everyone.

I've been using linux for about a year and a half now and I was
interested in starting up a newsfeed into a linux box. I looked for
documentation on it but I couldn't find anything much in the slack-doc's
and such...does anyone have an idea where I could go for some
documentation on seting this up? And while I'm at it, does anyone know
how stable linux is as a news server? Is the 4G/day too much for the OS?
I read somewhere that linux maxes out at 2G but I haven't pushed my box
beyond that (no need till now)....any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thorn Rose Wilder.

Post by Simon J Mu » Sat, 02 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I've been using linux for about a year and a half now and I was
> interested in starting up a newsfeed into a linux box. I looked for
> documentation on it but I couldn't find anything much in the slack-doc's
> and such...does anyone have an idea where I could go for some
> documentation on seting this up? And while I'm at it, does anyone know
> how stable linux is as a news server? Is the 4G/day too much for the OS?
> I read somewhere that linux maxes out at 2G but I haven't pushed my box
> beyond that (no need till now)....any help would be much appreciated.

Try looking in news.software.nntp  That's where the real news sysops hang
out.  I think linux has been used for quite heavy feeds, but this does
require a PC which is top of the range with good fast disks/controllers, and
lots of memory.  Ask the guys in this group, they should be able to give
you real info.

--
regards,

Simon J Mudd, Madrid, SPAIN