*** Dual boot ***

Post by Gary Cha » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 21:34:00

Dear all,

I currently have win2k and redhat 7.2 on the same hard disk. I
configured the linux that it boots up by floppy disk. During the redhat
installation, I chose not to install lilo at all, neither on the first
sector of the linux partition nor on the MBR. I can only boot up linux
with that floopy. Now I want to setup dual boot on Win boot loader.
LINUXDOC tell me I should modify /etc/lilo.conf and copy the image into
a file that will be placed on c:\.

My problem is since I didn't install lilo, I don't have /etc/lilo.conf.
Do I need to reinstall lilo on the first sector of linux partition? If
so, how do I do it? Can it be done without reinstalling the whole linux?

More Info:
If I use rpm -qi lilo, it shows that lilo package has been installed.

Thank you for your time answering my question!
Gary

*** Dual boot ***

Post by Korno » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 17:58:59

i know this is not the answer to your question , but is a simpler
solution (lilo is not involved)

dd if=/dev/hda of=boot.lin bs=512  count=1
take the file boot.lin to c:\ for example

Now edit boot.ini file from Windows and add the line
c:\boot.lin="Redhat 7" and  this will appear on your Windoz boot

*** Dual boot ***

Post by Korno » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:20:51

Sorry my mistake

Sopposing you Linux is on /dev/hda2 you must

dd if=/dev/hda2 of=boot.lin bs=512 count=1

Rest is ok

1. Dual boot networked to dual boot

I have two dual boot machines. They are already networked when both
machines are running Win98. I want to network them when one is running
linux and the other is running Win98. I also want to network them when
they are both running linux.

Does one of these machines have to be set up as a server and the other a
workstation?

2. multiport serial boards?

3. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

4. RedHat / Debian IO Causes Memory Leak?

5. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

6. bind9.1.0 rndc reload <zone> seems not to work?

7. Linux Read-Write Access to OS/2 HPFS Partitions

8. Dual boot Debian and XP "boot failure" using XP boot loader

9. help with dual boot, dual drive setup?

10. Dual boot for dual Hard drive (newbie)

11. Dual Boot--Dual Monitor in win98--X trouble with Linux

12. Help RH7.2 dual proc, dual boot