kerneld and dial-on-demand networking

Post by Derek Tattersa » Tue, 02 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hello out there.

I just installed a late model kernel on my system, and I am intrigued by
this loadable module stuff. I got the latest version of modules that I
could find, and I recompiled my kernel with the kerneld support and all
that. It all works fine, and I now have a lot more free memory for my
applications. That's great.

I have a question though. I read the kerneld HOWTO, and it mentioned that
there is a way to set up slip/ppp support such that it makes the
connection whenever the kernel needs to send data to the internet. So far
so good. Unfortunately I was completely unable to follow the description
of how to set this up. Could anyone tell me how to set up the shell script
"request-route"? I know that it needs to exist, but not what needs to be
in it. Also, are there any other things I need to do to set this up?

It sounds like a neat capability, I would like to try it out.

Also, does anyone know why I get this error:

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so: undefined reference to `XkbLookupKeySym'

when I try to compile procps-0.99a? Does it have anything to do with x312d?
I put this on my system recently since I couldn't make any of the other
versions work with my graphics card (ATI Mach64).

Thanks for any advice.

--
---------------------
Derek Tattersall

Post by M Jon » Thu, 04 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Hello out there.
>I just installed a late model kernel on my system, and I am intrigued by
>this loadable module stuff. I got the latest version of modules that I
>could find, and I recompiled my kernel with the kerneld support and all
>that. It all works fine, and I now have a lot more free memory for my
>applications. That's great.
>I have a question though. I read the kerneld HOWTO, and it mentioned that
>there is a way to set up slip/ppp support such that it makes the
>connection whenever the kernel needs to send data to the internet. So far
>so good. Unfortunately I was completely unable to follow the description
>of how to set this up. Could anyone tell me how to set up the shell script
>"request-route"? I know that it needs to exist, but not what needs to be
>in it. Also, are there any other things I need to do to set this up?

Your confusing automatic loading of kernel modules with on-demand ppp.
To use on-demand ppp, use a package called diald. It's not a part of Slackware
you have to grab it yourself from

        sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/system/Network/serial

If you can setup an automatic ppp setup, it's just as easy to setup diald.
Check the instructions that come with it.

>It sounds like a neat capability, I would like to try it out.
>--
>---------------------
>Derek Tattersall

-mike

    |   My other computer runs Linux.        |
    |           - car bumper sticker         |
    |________________________________________|

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 09 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I have a question though. I read the kerneld HOWTO, and it mentioned that
>there is a way to set up slip/ppp support such that it makes the
>connection whenever the kernel needs to send data to the internet. So far
>so good. Unfortunately I was completely unable to follow the description
>of how to set this up. Could anyone tell me how to set up the shell script
>"request-route"? I know that it needs to exist, but not what needs to be
>in it. Also, are there any other things I need to do to set this up?

ppp-2.2.0e sets up the 'request-route' script automatically.  All you
have to do is set up a /etc/ppp/chat.xxx.xxx.xxx.xx script to login,
where the x's match the IP address of your nameserver on your ISP.
Then when you telnet, ftp, or click on a URL in Netscape, it connects
automatically.  I did have to change /dev/modem to the actual cua
(/dev/cua1) as /dev/modem produced a 'not 8 bit clean' error (maybe
locked by uucp which I don't even use).

>--
>---------------------
>Derek Tattersall

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

1. linux 2.018/kerneld/PPP dial on demand: 'network unreachable' then starts dialling

I recently upgradet to the 2.0.18 kernel from 1.2.13, and decided to
switch from using diald to the kerneld-based dial-on-demand solution
documented in the kerneld READMEs.

Most of the time, my connections come up OK (except for some
irrelevant rumbles that I suspect are due to a misconfiguration
on my ISP's side), but when I try starting ncftp from the command
line, I get this:

--------[snip]---------

NcFTP: nic.funet.fi (101): Network is unreachable

NcFTP 1.9.4 (April 15, 1995) by Mike Gleason, NCEMRSoft.

Tip: If you don't want a .ncrecent file in your home directory, put
the
     command '#unset recent-list' in your .ncftprc file.

ncftp>
--------[snip]---------

then, after some seconds, my modem starts dialling and a PPP
connection gets established. To me, it looks like ncftp times
out immediately, but kerneld processes the package anyway.

Is it possible to devise a workaround for this?

- Peter

2. fcntl problem

3. kerneld & dial-on-demand problem

4. TNT2 M64 graphics card

5. demand dialing vs. the other demand dialing

6. *.*

7. Dialing-on-Demand with Kerneld (newbie)

8. anybody get a python 25501 dat to work?

9. ISDN Dial-On-Demand: Can't Stop dial with arp packets...

10. Caching DNS on network behind dial on demand router

11. PPP demand dial/network problem

12. Dial on Demand Internet Connection from existing network - how can I do this?

13. PPP dial-on-demand / TCP connection setup times out