LILO error code

Post by Greg Kilc » Sat, 23 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I have been happy starting Linux via loadlin under DOS,
but recently decided to install LILO on my ThinkPad 701C.
LILO fails, displaying ...

 L010101010101...

on the console.  The book *Linux Unleashed* helpfully
explains that this error code 01 "shouldn't happen".
Can anyone explain what it really means, and more to
the point, what to do to fix it.

  Thx, GK

LILO error code

Post by Massimo Scabb » Sun, 07 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I have been happy starting Linux via loadlin under DOS,
>but recently decided to install LILO on my ThinkPad 701C.
>LILO fails, displaying ...
> L010101010101...
>on the console.  The book *Linux Unleashed* helpfully
>explains that this error code 01 "shouldn't happen".
>Can anyone explain what it really means, and more to
>the point, what to do to fix it.

I have the error 40 and I don't understand what it is... please help.

Massimo

1. Lilo error codes?

Lilo tries to load
Prints an "L"
Follows it with 010101010....

Loadlin works great

I have a 486/66, 32Meg, Adaptec 1542, Cirrus Logic SVGA w/ 1Meg
1.2 Gig SCSI as /dev/sda
        /dev/sda1       VFAT Windows 95 (location of LILO in MBR)
        /dev/sda5       VFAT
640 Meg SCSI as /dev/sdb
        /dev/sdb1       Linux Native
        /dev/sdb2       Linux Swap
CD-ROM SCSI as /dev/cdrom

RedHat 3.0.3 upgraded to v2.0

I have currently backed off LILO by DOS command fdisk /MBR, but would
like to get LILO working.

Can someone tell me what LILO is trying to say by painting the screen
with 1's and 0's?

Thanks
David Lott, CCIE# 2024     | IS-Network Operations |
Network Engineer           | Cisco Systems         |

(408) 527-3669             | San Jose, Ca          |
The network works. No excuses

2. PC speaker

3. where are LILO error codes documented?

4. kill with NT

5. help needed: LILO stops with L and no error code

6. ATM on LinuxPPC

7. Return Code or Error Code with patches

8. mmap'ing a large file

9. Exit code / Error code when making ports

10. help: preserving error return codes thru function codes

11. LILO error: Can only boot from floppy, LILO will only start dos not linux

12. Sense Key Hardare error: SEAGATE error code 3

13. OpenSuse 11.1 Kinternet error: "pppd[0] died: pppd options error (exit code 2)