Reveal 4x CDROM Install

Post by Stephen Pri » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm sure this is an old question, but has anyone gotten Slackware version 3.0
of Linux to recognize a Reveal quad-speed cd-rom?  If so, how?

Thanks
STP

Reveal 4x CDROM Install

Post by David Welto » Tue, 04 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> I'm sure this is an old question, but has anyone gotten Slackware version 3.0
> of Linux to recognize a Reveal quad-speed cd-rom?  If so, how?

First of all, you need to be sure what kind of CD it *really* is.
My 'reveal' happens to be a goldstar - others are panasonics.  Then
you need to see if there is a driver for your kernel (which is a bit
old).  If not, you will have to upgrade.

--
David Welton

Se quest'email e` in Italiano, mi dispiace per gli errori:-) FORZA PANTANI!
                                --Linuxista--

Reveal 4x CDROM Install

Post by M. Buchenried » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>> I'm sure this is an old question, but has anyone gotten Slackware version 3.0
>> of Linux to recognize a Reveal quad-speed cd-rom?  If so, how?
>First of all, you need to be sure what kind of CD it *really* is.
>My 'reveal' happens to be a goldstar - others are panasonics.  Then
>you need to see if there is a driver for your kernel (which is a bit
>old).  If not, you will have to upgrade.

This does only apply to non-IDE/SCSI CDROM drives. Standard IDE/SCSI
CDROM drives just need the standard EIDE/SCSI drivers.

Michael

Portable, adj.:
                          Survives system reboot.

1. Goldstar 540 4X CDROM (Reveal 4x CDROm)

I just purchaced the Infomagic Developer's Resource Linux kit.  It came
with the Slackware 2.2 software (kernel 1.2).  The CDROM I have is on an
IDE/ATAPI interface.  When creating the boot and root floppies, I picked
the IDE/ATAPI kernel.  I boot and it recognizes the CDROM.  I create my
partitions (or rather recreate - I was using an old linux) and run
setup.  I choose IDE drive for the source and pick my packages.  It
starts to install (CD light flashes) and then errors out giving me a
unexpeced end of file for tar (the CDROM complains about a Buffer problem.)

Going out to root, I can see that the CDROM is mounted.  I can cd to the
directory and look around.  If I cat out a readme.lnx or readme.dos file
it will go so far then the buffer error.

Can anyone help?!!!!

Bob

2. Dell Latitude and Projector

3. InfoMagic CDROM Installation on Reveal 4X CDROm

4. Some trouble with RH6

5. InfoMagic CD install-Reveal 4X (Goldtar R540GD) IDE/TAPI CDROM

6. Problem Setting Up HD for Linux

7. You don't have to throw you REVEAL 4x ATAPI CDROM away...

8. xinetd or httpd throttle?

9. Reveal 4X GCDR540 CDROM Driver?

10. getting my Reveal 4x CDROM to work with Linux????

11. HELP: Installing LINUX w/ REVEAL 4X CD-ROM

12. HELP: Installing LINUX w/ a REVEAL 4X CD-ROM

13. nec 260 4x cdrom-1.3.4x kernels