Linux won't boot from Boot Manager

Post by David V. Feath » Wed, 08 Mar 1995 08:59:46

I know this must be an FAQ, but can't find any details...

I went through the slackware install without a hitch:

Steps:
        created a partition using os/2 fdisk
        added the partition to boot manager
        formatted the partition using hpfs
        booted Linux
        created the filesystem using mke2fs /dev/sda8
        used Linux fdisk to change the partition to type 83
        ran setup
        did not format root partition
        installed lilo
        rebooted
        selected Linux from boot manager

result:  blinking cursor

Help...

Thanks
Dave

David V. Feather

Linux won't boot from Boot Manager

Post by pa.. » Mon, 13 Mar 1995 14:29:10

Quote:>I know this must be an FAQ, but can't find any details...

>I went through the slackware install without a hitch:

>Steps:
>    created a partition using os/2 fdisk
>    added the partition to boot manager
>    formatted the partition using hpfs

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^---- skip this step

Quote:>    booted Linux
>    created the filesystem using mke2fs /dev/sda8
>    used Linux fdisk to change the partition to type 83
>    ran setup
>    did not format root partition

        ^^^^^^^^^^^---DO format the root partition

Quote:>    installed lilo
>    rebooted
>    selected Linux from boot manager

Everything else is fine. I'm installing Linux on my pc and did everything
above and was able to boot with no problems in that respect.

I AM however having fits with my Future Domain TMC1660 SCSI card.

good luck,

pm