Geforce2 Ultra & Linux

Post by Dan Stephenso » Mon, 05 Feb 2001 02:49:11

> I'm thinking of buying a Geforce2 Ultra to use with my doze games and
> Linux.

> I've been told I might have problems getting Linux to recognise the new
> card.

> Any suggestions or card recommendations ......

I'm glad I can help, as I've just gone through almost this identical
process.

My distribution of Linux is SuSE7.0 which didn't have a new enough version
of XFree86 to work with my card.  It requires 4.0.1 (according to NVidia's
site).  So I went to www.free86.org and followed their install
instructions, and used the SuSE tools sax2 to specify using the 'nv'
driver.  You could also probably use the other config tools like
xf86config, I guess.

NVidia has other drivers to overlay on this basic configuration, but when I
tried to run them I got some conflicts.  And, I don't know if I want to
*up the 1280x1024x24bitx100Hz I was able to set up.

PS - the instructions suggest stopping xdm.  This is done, as root, with
/etc/rc.d/xdm stop.

PPS - BIG note:  When I first rebooted w/ my new card w/o the new XFree86,
I got NO graphics whatsoever.  I didn't have anything important on my Linux
partitions so I reinstalled and got VGA16.  In retrospect I probably could
have switched to that before I installed my card solely for the purposes of
installing the new XFree86.

Quote:> Pete Bradbury

--
Dan Stephenson