Configuring PPP under Linux Redhat

Post by Eric Fernan » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to get PPP configured under Linux Redhat v5.0. When logged
in as the root user I am able to run the scripts ppp-on and connect to
the interner. However I do not really want to connect to the internet
as the root user.

I have created a second user and tired to run the ppp-on script with
the second user. Unfrotunately I got an error message saying that
'this kernal does not have support for PPP'. Meanwhile I had been able
to connect using the root user.

I read somewhere that due to the fact network routing tables are
modified when a PPP conection is established. I decided to assingn my
new user to the group root, ie. one would think this then gave them
all the priviliges of the root user. Unfortunately this still did not
solve the problem and I got the same error message mentioned above.

Can anyone shed some light as to what I am doing wrong?

Regards,
Eric Fernance.

Configuring PPP under Linux Redhat

Post by Thand » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am trying to get PPP configured under Linux Redhat v5.0. When logged
>in as the root user I am able to run the scripts ppp-on and connect to
>the interner. However I do not really want to connect to the internet
>as the root user.

I suggest you read the PPP-Howto. It has a section describing how to set up
your connection so it can be launched by a non root user.

--
- Thandor, of Donuts Inc:
Through emulation of Homer Simpson we shall attain perfection.

Linux: Everybody's talking about the GNU kid in town. :)

Post by Der Guhvie » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I am trying to get PPP configured under Linux Redhat v5.0. When logged
> in as the root user I am able to run the scripts ppp-on and connect to
> the interner. However I do not really want to connect to the internet
> as the root user.

> I have created a second user and tired to run the ppp-on script with
> the second user. Unfrotunately I got an error message saying that
> 'this kernal does not have support for PPP'. Meanwhile I had been able
> to connect using the root user.

> I read somewhere that due to the fact network routing tables are
> modified when a PPP conection is established. I decided to assingn my
> new user to the group root, ie. one would think this then gave them
> all the priviliges of the root user. Unfortunately this still did not
> solve the problem and I got the same error message mentioned above.

> Can anyone shed some light as to what I am doing wrong?

When creating the ppp interface, make sure that the button
for allowing any user to (de)activate the interface is
selected. Users can now use the usernetctl utility to
connect. I have the following lines in my .bashrc file
to (dis)connect from the command line.

alias callit='/usr/sbin/usernetctl ifcfg-ppp0 up'
alias discon='/usr/sbin/usernetctl ifcfg-ppp0 down'

Hope this helps.

--
Caio                       |Oliver's Law: Experience is something you
The Guhvanoh <ViNyL 4eVeR> |  do not get until just after you need it.