Alpha Linux (Multia) Video setup problem

Alpha Linux (Multia) Video setup problem

Post by Ma Hong Kue » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello,
I have a problem about the video card which need to be urgently solved.  I
have a Alpha Mutia desktop.  Accordingly, the video card should be Diamond
Stealth 64 DRAM S3_868 or S3_864 or S3_9XX.  However, what I got when I run
"startx" it gives a message :
None of the configured devices was detected.
TRANS (SocketUNIXConnect)() Can't connect:errno=61

Please help me solve the problem and email me the solution please.

--Andrew

Alpha Linux (Multia) Video setup problem

Post by Bennett To » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a problem about the video card which need to be urgently solved.  I
>have a Alpha Mutia desktop.  Accordingly, the video card should be Diamond
>Stealth 64 DRAM S3_868 or S3_864 or S3_9XX.

Unless you have a video card plugged into the PCI slot on that thing, I
believe you are mistaken; DEC Alpha Multias have TGA video. I'm enjoying
fabulous success with the XFree86 3.2 TGA support.

First, I did a complete reload of my UDB to Red Hat 4.0. Maybe the upgrade
would have worked, maybe not, but since this was the static linking COFF ==>
dynamic linking ELF upgrade, I wanted to do a clean sweep. I succeeded. While
I was down there, before I kicked off the new load, I also installed the
firmware update from ftp.digital.com.

So anyway, I got it up to Red Hat 4.0, fully elf dynamically linked. Then I
downloaded the entire XFree86 3.2, binaries for Linux Alpha Elf, with the TGA
server.

Then I hacked blindly at the XF86Config file for a while, and scared up a
working 1280x1024 format on my Nokia 447L. This is the first time I've gotten
1280x1024 working on this monitor since I started using it, nearly a year ago,
hooked up to an old 486 running Red Hat 2.1.

-Bennett