ISA plug&play modem

Post by Ryan Lee Isaac » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

What is the best way to get an ISA plug and play modem to work.

I downloaded isapnptools but that brings me to the second question:

first I unzip the file isapnptools.tar.gz and that works fine, but when
I try

tar -x isapnptools.tar

nothing happens. It just sits until I control-C it. I've also tried:

tar x isapnptools.tar

Same thing.

|University of Michigan      |   www-personal.umich.edu/~risaacs/     |
|   College of Engineering   |       U of M Cycling                   |
|CAEN Hotline                |   www.umich.edu/~cycling/              |

ISA plug&play modem

Post by Simon Drabbl » Tue, 09 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> What is the best way to get an ISA plug and play modem to work.

I had no problem with my PnP modem since I knew which IRQ/ address it was
using, if you know these then you can use setserial to set the required
values at boot-time, in /etc/rc.2/rc.sysinit or whatever, e.g. I use
setserial /dev/modem IRQ 5

Quote:

> I downloaded isapnptools but that brings me to the second question:

> first I unzip the file isapnptools.tar.gz and that works fine, but when
> I try

> tar -x isapnptools.tar

tar takes input from stdin, therefore use the f flag with a file, i.e.

tar xf isapnptools.tar

If you have the gzipped version (.tar.gz) you can also use the little-known
(apparently) z switch, e.g.

tar xfz tarfile.tar.gz

> nothing happens. It just sits until I control-C it. I've also tried:

> tar x isapnptools.tar

> Same thing.
> --

> |University of Michigan      |   www-personal.umich.edu/~risaacs/     |
> |   College of Engineering   |       U of M Cycling                   |
> |CAEN Hotline                |   www.umich.edu/~cycling/              |

                         *-- Support Java --*
                         *--  Boycott M$  --*

My email address has been munged to prevent spam. My reply-to address
works without modification or you can click the link below to email.
------------------------
  Simon Drabble - Programmer/ Designer

  http://www.syspac.com/~madlather
Where are we going? And why am I in this handbasket?

ISA plug&play modem

Post by Pat Crea » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>What is the best way to get an ISA plug and play modem to work.

>I downloaded isapnptools but that brings me to the second question:

>first I unzip the file isapnptools.tar.gz and that works fine, but when
>I try

>tar -x isapnptools.tar

>nothing happens. It just sits until I control-C it. I've also tried:

-------------------------------------------------------------------+

try tar -xf isapnptools.tar   (you could also have used tar -xzf
isapnptools.tar.gz)

when all else fails, man tar will get you pointed in the right
direction.......

ISA plug&play modem

Post by Ryan Lee Isaac » Wed, 10 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I knew the IRQ address too. However, I had to issue the isapnp command
from isapnptools to get it to work. Finally, I don't have to run onto
campus to get info about LINUX!

Post by Perry Gri » Fri, 12 Dec 1997 04:00:00

|> I try
|> tar -x isapnptools.tar
|>
|> nothing happens. It just sits until I control-C it.
|> I've also tried:
|> tar x isapnptools.tar
|>
|> Same thing.

|> |University of Michigan      |   www-personal.umich.edu/~risaacs/     |
|> |   College of Engineering   |       U of M Cycling                   |
|> |CAEN Hotline                |   www.umich.edu/~cycling/              |

Try "tar -xf isapnptools.tar"
Try "man tar"

Perry Grieb