Installing Redhat 3.03 Linux on a Compaq Prosignia 300

Installing Redhat 3.03 Linux on a Compaq Prosignia 300

Post by John Behnem » Wed, 21 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Help!

I've been trying to install Linux on Compaq Prosignia 300 using a modified
version of the cpqxl-boot.image (located on
ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/misc/cpqxl-boot.image). I replace the 1.3.74 image
with a 2.0X image built on another machine. I did this because movepci.sys was
not working, issuing the following error:

Cannot relocate PCI services No cut tables signature or 0 entries in cut
table.

Also the kernel on the cpqxl-boot.image I believe was setup for a different
compaq SCSI controller. I was hoping this was going to 'work around' the
movepci problem. The 2.0 kernel appears to see the compaq scsi devices (boot
up messages reflect this) yet the Redhat Perl install script does not see any
SCSI devices available to partition. I really don't know what to do next.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated....

Thanks in advance...

--
John Behneman

800-441-2642

Installing Redhat 3.03 Linux on a Compaq Prosignia 300

Post by John Roe [SysAd » Thu, 22 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi.

PLEASE don't run movepci.sys or use any of the Compaq Deskpro-XL stuff on
the 300!  You can use the standard kernels and everything, no special
black magic required, on compaq servers.  The SCSI is an NCR 53c810, and
the nic is a AMD PCnet32/PCI.  Look at
http://potter.ieee.uh.edu/compaq.html for more info!

--John

: Help!
:
[...]
: --
: John Behneman

: 800-441-2642
:

1. Installing Slackware Linux on a Compaq Prosignia 300

I'm have problems installing Linux on a Prosignia 300, the boot disk panics
when it loads the scsi driver or so it appears! I have tried a couple of boot
disk images with the same result. Is there a Compaq Howto some where
concerning compatibility issues with the different models of compaq computers.
I know for instance that X won't work under Qvision. Also what is the support

message from my mail server.

Thanks in advance.....

--
John Behneman

800-441-2642

2. VM in 2.4.10(+tweaks) vs. 2.4.9-ac14/15(+stuff)

3. Installing FreeBSD 3.4 on Compaq Prosignia 300

4. Font server error after XFree86 4.01 upgrade

5. trying to install slackware 3.5 on a compaq Prosignia 300

6. Mandrake 8.0 and MacOS?

7. Can't install Red Hat 7.1 on a compaq Prosignia 300 24M

8. KDE2 Missing Files

9. Installing RH6.1 on a Compaq Prosignia 300

10. Compaq Prosignia 300 and Linux

11. Linux on a Compaq Prosignia 300

12. Compaq Prosignia 300 and Linux ?? (need info)

13. Linux 1.2.13 sees only 16Mb of mem on Compaq Prosignia 300 server