New to groups and Staroffice Question

Post by Michael Coope » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, I am new to newsgroups so please bear with me if this is not worded
quite right.  Also please let me know if there is another group which is
more appropriate to this type of question.  Thanks.

I have Redhat 6.0 (downloaded off net) and am trying to install StarOffice
5.1.  I do know the cause, but just don't know the cure.  I do remember
hearing about StarDivision providing Redhat with a patch which would cure
the problem, but I can never find such a patch on the net anywhere.  Can
anyone help me.  Thanks.

--
Michael Cooper

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Hi, I am new to newsgroups so please bear with me if this is not worded
>quite right.  Also please let me know if there is another group which is
>more appropriate to this type of question.  Thanks.

>I have Redhat 6.0 (downloaded off net) and am trying to install StarOffice
>5.1.  I do know the cause, but just don't know the cure.  I do remember
>hearing about StarDivision providing Redhat with a patch which would cure
>the problem, but I can never find such a patch on the net anywhere.  Can
>anyone help me.  Thanks.

>--
>Michael Cooper

StarOffice 5.1 should install on RedHat 6 without a problem. RedHat provided
an rpm file for StarOffice 5.0 on their application cd because of some
problems with glibc differences I believe.  With SO 5.1, that is addressed.
I have installed SO 5.1 on several RH 6 machines with no problems.

--
Michael Perry -                  "No one can give you wiser advice

                          '   )
                          \  Gnome: at www.gnome.org!!
                           \ _) where happiness is a state of foot.

New to groups and Staroffice Question

Post by Jami » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Make sure that your / partition is large enough.  StarOffice puts files in
/tmp which can abort the install if there is not enough room them.

That being said, there is another way to install where you can have multiple
users use it.  Rather than running 'setup', run 'setup /net' as root (this
is a network installation).  Install to say /usr/local/apps/Office51.  Now
you can't actually run this installation yet, but as a regular user, run
'/usr/local/apps/Office51/bin/setup' (assuming you installed to
/usr/local/apps/Office51).  You will be asked if you want to do a network
installation, and you do.  This will install some files into /home/user, and
StarOffice can be used as expected by that user.  If you want someone else
in your system to use it, login as that person, then run the setup program
above.

In case I wasn't clear-- make sure that after you run the initial 'setup
/net', you run all user setups from the installation directory chosen during
'/setup /net.'

Jamie

> > >Hi, I am new to newsgroups so please bear with me if this is not worded
> > >quite right.  Also please let me know if there is another group which
is
> > >more appropriate to this type of question.  Thanks.

> > >I have Redhat 6.0 (downloaded off net) and am trying to install
StarOffice
> > >5.1.  I do know the cause, but just don't know the cure.  I do remember
> > >hearing about StarDivision providing Redhat with a patch which would
cure
> > >the problem, but I can never find such a patch on the net anywhere.
Can
> > >anyone help me.  Thanks.

> > >--
> > >Michael Cooper

> > StarOffice 5.1 should install on RedHat 6 without a problem. RedHat
provided
> > an rpm file for StarOffice 5.0 on their application cd because of some
> Hmm, I installed it also and it doesn't run can't find the main program
> to run either.

> > problems with glibc differences I believe.  With SO 5.1, that is
addressed.
> > I have installed SO 5.1 on several RH 6 machines with no problems.

> > --
> > Michael Perry -                  "No one can give you wiser advice

> >                           '   )
> >                           \  Gnome: at www.gnome.org!!
> >                            \ _) where happiness is a state of foot.

New to groups and Staroffice Question

Post by --==[bolMyn]==- » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

To run StarOffice can be a little tricky at the beginning.  I think that
it only runs as the user who installed it.  So if you installed it as
root, you have chown and chgrp to match your ID.  Now, depanding on where
you installed the suite, you would execute like so:

/opt/Staroffice51/bin/soffice

That's it.  The first time you run it, it will initialize some variables.
If someone else logs in, they probably will not be able to run it or if
they do, there will be some licencing conflicts.  I don't know why they
did this although I should not complain.  The whole suite is for free! :-)

Hope this helps.

Bolek,

ICQ: 4086197

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=i...

> Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 05:42:27 GMT

> Newsgroups: linux.redhat.misc, comp.os.linux.setup,
>     comp.os.linux.questions
> Subject: Re: New to groups and Staroffice Question

> > >Hi, I am new to newsgroups so please bear with me if this is not worded
> > >quite right.  Also please let me know if there is another group which is
> > >more appropriate to this type of question.  Thanks.

> > >I have Redhat 6.0 (downloaded off net) and am trying to install StarOffice
> > >5.1.  I do know the cause, but just don't know the cure.  I do remember
> > >hearing about StarDivision providing Redhat with a patch which would cure
> > >the problem, but I can never find such a patch on the net anywhere.  Can
> > >anyone help me.  Thanks.

> > >--
> > >Michael Cooper

> > StarOffice 5.1 should install on RedHat 6 without a problem. RedHat provided
> > an rpm file for StarOffice 5.0 on their application cd because of some
> Hmm, I installed it also and it doesn't run can't find the main program
> to run either.

> > problems with glibc differences I believe.  With SO 5.1, that is addressed.
> > I have installed SO 5.1 on several RH 6 machines with no problems.

> > --
> > Michael Perry -                  "No one can give you wiser advice

> >                           '   )
> >                           \  Gnome: at www.gnome.org!!
> >                            \ _) where happiness is a state of foot.

New to groups and Staroffice Question

Post by Crash200 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

o.k thanks guys will try.

Quote:

> To run StarOffice can be a little tricky at the beginning.  I think that
> it only runs as the user who installed it.  So if you installed it as
> root, you have chown and chgrp to match your ID.  Now, depanding on where
> you installed the suite, you would execute like so:

> /opt/Staroffice51/bin/soffice

> That's it.  The first time you run it, it will initialize some variables.
> If someone else logs in, they probably will not be able to run it or if
> they do, there will be some licencing conflicts.  I don't know why they
> did this although I should not complain.  The whole suite is for free! :-)

> Hope this helps.

New to groups and Staroffice Question

Post by --==[bolMyn]==- » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for the tip!  Where did you dig this info out from???  I didn't see
anything like that.  This makes a world of difference now... :-)

> Make sure that your / partition is large enough.  StarOffice puts files in
> /tmp which can abort the install if there is not enough room them.

> That being said, there is another way to install where you can have multiple
> users use it.  Rather than running 'setup', run 'setup /net' as root (this
> is a network installation).  Install to say /usr/local/apps/Office51.  Now
> you can't actually run this installation yet, but as a regular user, run
> '/usr/local/apps/Office51/bin/setup' (assuming you installed to
> /usr/local/apps/Office51).  You will be asked if you want to do a network
> installation, and you do.  This will install some files into /home/user, and
> StarOffice can be used as expected by that user.  If you want someone else
> in your system to use it, login as that person, then run the setup program
> above.

> In case I wasn't clear-- make sure that after you run the initial 'setup
> /net', you run all user setups from the installation directory chosen during
> '/setup /net.'

> Jamie

> is

> StarOffice
> cure
> Can

> > > StarOffice 5.1 should install on RedHat 6 without a problem. RedHat
> provided
> > > an rpm file for StarOffice 5.0 on their application cd because of some
> > Hmm, I installed it also and it doesn't run can't find the main program
> > to run either.

> > > problems with glibc differences I believe.  With SO 5.1, that is
> addressed.
> > > I have installed SO 5.1 on several RH 6 machines with no problems.

> > > --
> > > Michael Perry -                  "No one can give you wiser advice

> > >                           '   )
> > >                           \  Gnome: at www.gnome.org!!
> > >                            \ _) where happiness is a state of foot.

--
Bolek,

ICQ: 4086197

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=i...

New to groups and Staroffice Question

Post by Tali Zv » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I had the same problem. I installed Star Office using the /net option. Then I followed
the instructions below, that is, I ran the setup from the installation as I was looged
in as a regular user. That didn't seem to work for me though. When I try to run
staroffice from the non-root account it waits for a second or two and then exits.
Nothing comes up. Is there anything else I need to do?

Tali

> Thanks for the tip!  Where did you dig this info out from???  I didn't see
> anything like that.  This makes a world of difference now... :-)

> > Make sure that your / partition is large enough.  StarOffice puts files in
> > /tmp which can abort the install if there is not enough room them.

> > That being said, there is another way to install where you can have multiple
> > users use it.  Rather than running 'setup', run 'setup /net' as root (this
> > is a network installation).  Install to say /usr/local/apps/Office51.  Now
> > you can't actually run this installation yet, but as a regular user, run
> > '/usr/local/apps/Office51/bin/setup' (assuming you installed to
> > /usr/local/apps/Office51).  You will be asked if you want to do a network
> > installation, and you do.  This will install some files into /home/user, and
> > StarOffice can be used as expected by that user.  If you want someone else
> > in your system to use it, login as that person, then run the setup program
> > above.

> > In case I wasn't clear-- make sure that after you run the initial 'setup
> > /net', you run all user setups from the installation directory chosen during
> > '/setup /net.'

> > Jamie

> > is

> > StarOffice
> > cure
> > Can

> > provided
> > > Hmm, I installed it also and it doesn't run can't find the main program
> > > to run either.

> > addressed.

> --
> Bolek,

> ICQ: 4086197

> http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=i...

New to groups and Staroffice Question

Post by michael1.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> --------------6F8208C8DDBC71C0FAAD1BFC

> Hi,

I installed StarOffice as root using the /net
option. Then I login as regular user and ran the
setup from the installation. If works just fine if
I login from a console. But if I login from a
Xterminal and try to start staroffice, it brings
up staroffice desktop for a couple of seconds and
then quit and only gives "Abort" message. Any idea
what's going on?

Michael

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

New to groups and Staroffice Question

Post by Karl-Heinz Zimme » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I installed StarOffice as root using the /net
> option. Then I login as regular user and ran the
> setup from the installation. If works just fine if
> I login from a console. But if I login from a
> Xterminal and try to start staroffice, it brings
> up staroffice desktop for a couple of seconds and
> then quit and only gives "Abort" message. Any idea
> what's going on?

Any idea
- what amount of RAM is in your system
- what Version of StarOffice you are using
- what Linux distribution you've got
- what modification you made on that distribution (glibc update?)

Please tell us more and we will hopefully find out what's going on.

Regards,

  Karl-Heinz      (posting privately)
--
" The PC is just a blip. It's a big, bright blip, but just a blip.
  Fifty years from now, people are going to look back and say:

New to groups and Staroffice Question

Post by Saif Ahme » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've got a very similar problem. running Staroffice 5.1 (newest, just
downloaded, the sun flavor of staroffice). Redhat linux 6.0. 80MB RAM. Made no
modifications to the glibc.

Whenever I click on any of the icons in starOffice console it aborts. I can,
however use the menu in the console to launch the applications.

Saif

>> I installed StarOffice as root using the /net
>> option. Then I login as regular user and ran the
>> setup from the installation. If works just fine if
>> I login from a console. But if I login from a
>> Xterminal and try to start staroffice, it brings
>> up staroffice desktop for a couple of seconds and
>> then quit and only gives "Abort" message. Any idea
>> what's going on?

>Any idea
>- what amount of RAM is in your system
>- what Version of StarOffice you are using
>- what Linux distribution you've got
>- what modification you made on that distribution (glibc update?)

>Please tell us more and we will hopefully find out what's going on.

>Regards,

>  Karl-Heinz      (posting privately)
>--
>" The PC is just a blip. It's a big, bright blip, but just a blip.
>  Fifty years from now, people are going to look back and say:
>  'Did you really have a computer on your desk? How weird.' "
>Scott G. McNealy in ''Sun Power''   (Business Week, Jan. 18, 1999)

New to groups and Staroffice Question

Post by Duncan Camero » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Dear Saif
    You may have a  fonts problem - you might try launching SO, then in a
terminal
do:     xset - q
then make sure that none of the Star fonts directories are  empty ones. If they
are, get rid of them ( this is only in the case that you have done
re-installations of StarOffice - the empty directories get left over from the
prior installation(s).)

> I've got a very similar problem. running Staroffice 5.1 (newest, just
> downloaded, the sun flavor of staroffice). Redhat linux 6.0. 80MB RAM. Made no
> modifications to the glibc.

> Whenever I click on any of the icons in starOffice console it aborts. I can,
> however use the menu in the console to launch the applications.

> Saif

> >> I installed StarOffice as root using the /net
> >> option. Then I login as regular user and ran the
> >> setup from the installation. If works just fine if
> >> I login from a console. But if I login from a
> >> Xterminal and try to start staroffice, it brings
> >> up staroffice desktop for a couple of seconds and
> >> then quit and only gives "Abort" message. Any idea
> >> what's going on?

> >Any idea
> >- what amount of RAM is in your system
> >- what Version of StarOffice you are using
> >- what Linux distribution you've got
> >- what modification you made on that distribution (glibc update?)

> >Please tell us more and we will hopefully find out what's going on.

> >Regards,

> >  Karl-Heinz      (posting privately)
> >--
> >" The PC is just a blip. It's a big, bright blip, but just a blip.
> >  Fifty years from now, people are going to look back and say:
> >  'Did you really have a computer on your desk? How weird.' "
> >Scott G. McNealy in ''Sun Power''   (Business Week, Jan. 18, 1999)

1. New to groups and Staroffice Question

I am a newbie installing StarOffice and had this problem, any ideas?

I was installing StarOffice 5.1 from the CD I purchased from Sun on Red
Hat Linux 6.0. I read the ReadMe's and they said that glibc 2.0.7 may
be required. I installed the glibc 2.0.7 files into the
/home/user/StarOffice51/lib directory. The install began as expected
until the Enter User Data screen. After entering the data and clicking
on Next, the setup freezes and doesn't go any farther. I tried several
times and got the same result each time. Then Then I copied the
ld-linux.so.2 to ld-linux.so.2.old to replace with the ld-linux.so.2
provided by StarOffice and lost response, my commands weren't
recognized. I re-installed ld-linux.so.2 from the CD and things are
back to normal.

Has anyone else had problems with the glibc files?

What needs to be done with the ld-linux.so.2 to install StarOffice 5.1
on Red Hat 6.0?

Thanks,
Mark

2. Certain Programs on Certain Desktops

3. change to new gid or new group name all files of given group name or gid

4. IDE HDD block mode?

5. New to this group: Is there a FAQ file for this group available somewhere?

6. Tr: laptops help -nitemare FBI

7. Figuring out basic groups and group ids for a new linux system

8. i Ytalk !

9. GURUS: user has two groups - new files inherit group from current dir - HOW?

10. Matrox Mystique ands X.

11. New to Group have Question

12. these 3 questions from my C++ E-mail group, and my reply to C++ group

13. grouping database entries in StarOffice 5.2