SoundCard

Post by ennes » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 04:43:04

I am running LM7.2. I have a OPL3-SA3 sound card which I am not able to
install. I had replys from LM support and newsgroup members(thanks) saying
run 'sndconfig' from root. But I dont have sndconfig anywhere in my machine.
I tried to install it from a RPM (which said sndconfig-x-y-z...) in one of
the CDs, but the package installer says that an 'Unsatisfied
dependency'(??) - "awesf" exists. I could not find naything like that in the
CDs (That is asking too much of a Brand new newbie like me!!). Doe anyone
know what it is all about?? and help me out.

I have anther simple question: How to know what all files are there in each
linux partition. (Like where is root, /home, /etc, /usr) or the converse,
which file is on which partition?

Thanks
Sri

SoundCard

Post by Peter T. Breue » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 04:59:15

> run 'sndconfig' from root. But I dont have sndconfig anywhere in my machine.
> I tried to install it from a RPM (which said sndconfig-x-y-z...) in one of
> the CDs, but the package installer says that an 'Unsatisfied
> dependency'(??) - "awesf" exists. I could not find naything like that in the
> CDs (That is asking too much of a Brand new newbie like me!!). Doe anyone

Then look harder, because nobody is going to do your looking for you.
Use rpmfind if you want to save yourself even that.

Quote:> I have anther simple question: How to know what all files are there in each
> linux partition. (Like where is root, /home, /etc, /usr) or the converse,
> which file is on which partition?

What do you mean, and why do you care? Man locate. Man find.

Peter

SoundCard

Post by Terry Port » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:47:18

>I am running LM7.2. I have a OPL3-SA3 sound card which I am not able to
>install. I had replys from LM support and newsgroup members(thanks) saying
>run 'sndconfig' from root. But I dont have sndconfig anywhere in my machine.
>I tried to install it from a RPM (which said sndconfig-x-y-z...) in one of
>the CDs, but the package installer says that an 'Unsatisfied
>dependency'(??) - "awesf" exists.

Thats a odd one !
Have you logged in as root, and typed 'sndconfig' ?
Here is where mine is located

/usr/sbin/sndconfig

Possibly you logged in as root by doing a 'su' ?
If you do this then the root will have the path that the user had, and it wont
include "/usr/sbin" !
That means when you issue the command 'sndconfig' as root you will get this
error :-

Password:

bash: sndconfig: command not found

So log in as root from a normal user with this command 'su -l' and you will
have the paths that root has.

Then the above command would work!
to see your paths issue the 'set' command.

Quote:> I could not find naything like that in the
>CDs (That is asking too much of a Brand new newbie like me!!). Doe anyone
>know what it is all about?? and help me out.\

Get a good book on Linux, I reccoment the Oriely book "Running Linux".

Quote:

>I have anther simple question: How to know what all files are there in each
>linux partition. (Like where is root, /home, /etc, /usr) or the converse,
>which file is on which partition?

Look in /etc/fstab using 'less' ie

'less /etc/fstab'

/dev/hda1               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hdd1               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner    0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/hdc1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

Quote:

--
Kind Regards
Terry

SoundCard

Post by steve mcclu » Thu, 21 Dec 2000 00:58:54

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000 20:59:15 +0100, "Peter T. Breuer"

>> run 'sndconfig' from root. But I dont have sndconfig anywhere in my machine.
>> I tried to install it from a RPM (which said sndconfig-x-y-z...) in one of
>> the CDs, but the package installer says that an 'Unsatisfied
>> dependency'(??) - "awesf" exists. I could not find naything like that in the
>> CDs (That is asking too much of a Brand new newbie like me!!). Doe anyone

>Then look harder, because nobody is going to do your looking for you.
>Use rpmfind if you want to save yourself even that.

>> I have anther simple question: How to know what all files are there in each
>> linux partition. (Like where is root, /home, /etc, /usr) or the converse,
>> which file is on which partition?

>What do you mean, and why do you care? Man locate. Man find.

>Peter

Not very encouraging. If he's asking why Linux systems are organised
the way they are, then he should try the System Administrator's guide,

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/sag/index.html

specifically

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/sag/c218.html

If he just wants to know what files are in each section, use the file
manager and rummage around!

Steve

1. adding a second soundcard and losing the first soundcard

i'm running redhat 8.0 with onboard sound via8233.  since via8233
doesn't work with alsa well or with the drivers that came with redhat
at all, i tried to add a second sound card.  after adding the card, kadzu
appeared and first said that multimedia controller via8233 had been
removed, then it said that the second card had been added.  i did not
remove the configuration for via8233 and added the configuration for
the second card.  a lspci listed that the new card was present but the
via8233 wasn't there.

i removed the new card and now have my machine back to where it was.
my question is how can i add the second card without losing the first
one.  what happened to the first card when i added the second?

Thanks.

2. (HELP) Need to Conceal Linux Boot Messages

3. best soundcard for linux?

4. help needed to restore RH to original config

5. Aztech PnP soundcard

6. two 3c590 nics do not route

7. Soundcards and CD-Roms

8. repeatable IDE errors when using SMART

9. SonicSound LX Diamond Soundcard

10. Mozart (Oak techn) soundcards and ATAPI CD

11. soundcard with digi. output wanted

12. AZT2320R2 SoundCard --will it work at all?

13. Idiot Seeks Help 5: Soundcards