Using LILO to dual boot Win98 and SuSE

Post by David McGloi » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I installed Suse 5.2 the other night without too many
problems. In order to do so I formatted my 4.3 GB hard drive into 3
partions (a 2GB and two 1GB). On the biggest partition I put Win98 and
then changed the file system on this partition and one of the 1GB
partitions to FAT32. I then proceeded to install Linux on the third
partition. Everything went reasonably well, except when setting up LILO.

I set it up to boot up Linux OK but it couldn't recognize any of the
other partitions so that I could boot into Win98. Now I can't boot into
win98.

Is there some way I can setup up LILO to boot Win98, or is the simplest
thing to reinstall Win98 - which, as I understand, will write over LILO
and
then use the loadlin program to boot linux from Win98 or from floppy.

Any help much appreciated,

David

--
***************************************
David McGloin

Using LILO to dual boot Win98 and SuSE

Post by arne » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

yes, first make sure you have an image of your win98 in lilo.conf and that
it's working before you install win98 again.. you should have the lines
similar to this:
     other = /dev/hda1
         label = Win98     # any lable name you want
         table = /dev/hda

make sure it points to the first partition and NOT to the whole hard drive
itself.. i.e. /dev/hda1 (first partition) and /dev/hda (whole harddrive) and
then run lilo again. be careful tho.. :-)

Post by Neil Ricke » Tue, 17 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>I installed Suse 5.2 the other night without too many
>problems. In order to do so I formatted my 4.3 GB hard drive into 3
>partions (a 2GB and two 1GB). On the biggest partition I put Win98 and
>then changed the file system on this partition and one of the 1GB
>partitions to FAT32. I then proceeded to install Linux on the third
>partition. Everything went reasonably well, except when setting up LILO.
>I set it up to boot up Linux OK but it couldn't recognize any of the
>other partitions so that I could boot into Win98. Now I can't boot into
>win98.

That is probably a failure of the setup script.

exit '/etc/lilo.conf'.  Add the following near the bottom:

  other = /dev/hda1
    label = win98

 -- except you must put in the correct partition for 'win98'.  It
    might not be 'hda1' on your system.  If you are not sure, use
    'fdisk' to list the partitions.  The Win98 partition should have
    a type code of 0b or 0c.

When you have finished editing, run the command '/sbin/lilo' to
update your lilo installation.

1. dual-HD, dual-boot problem ... booting Win98 fails on hdb

I put one harddisk in my computer and installed Mandrake7.2.  I then
popped this disk out, popped a new disk in, and installed Windoze 98
on it. I then made this disk the slave (hdb) and put back in my
Mandrake disk as hda, and then booted into Linux (using grub).
Mandrake recognizes my /dev/hdb when I mount it automatically as
/mnt/win98. So, the problem I'm about to describe doesn't seem to be a
problem with the harddisk, slave setting, etc.

I then used DrakConf to change my grub configuration so that it
associated win98 with /dev/hdb1. I then tried rebooting, booting linux
through grub still works fine, but when I choose win98 through grub, I
got the following error:

Booting 'win98'
root(hd1,0)
Error: selected disk does not exist.

I assume that this error is related to the fact that when win98 was
installed on hdb, it was actually hda at the time.  Now it's confused
b/c it's hdb. ??  (said another way: I think the problem is confusion
over the fact that windows was originally installed when that disk was
hda, but now it's hdb.)

I recently read (somewhere on usenet) the following suggestion:

the "map" command under GRUB would trick this second drive (hd1) to
think
that it owned the first partiition, thereby allowing it to dual boot.

#################################
# /boot/grub/menu.lst - generated by Lizard

*** Linux lines cut out to save space

# for booting Windows 98

title  = win98
root  = (hd1,0)
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
###################################

So, I tried this, but not knowing anything about grub, I
think I used the grub command to install it incorrectly,
because when I tried to reboot, grub failed to work properly
at all, and I had to boot with my boot floppy.

So, how can I solve this? Is the grub map approach the
right direction? If so, how do I do it correctly (e.g.,
what do I need to type on the command line after editing
the menu.lst file?)

If not, is there another way. I had a similar problem a couple
of years ago, and someone suggested that I use a program
(which I don't remember the name of) that allowed me to
go in and (I believe) edit the master boot record on my
windows hard drive to tell it that it was now the hdb
drive. I did that successfully that time. Should I try
that again, and if so, what's the program called that
allows me to edit it?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Firewall Unbreakable?

3. Mandrake/Win98 dual-boot without LILO? (FAT32)

4. X-window at start-up

5. Paritioning - Dual Boot Corel Linux Win98 LILO

6. passing command line arguments to RPC server

7. Where to put Lilo on dual boot Win98 & Linux?

8. HELP: PCCARD 3C589D (?) on FreeBSD 4.0

9. Dual Booting Win98/LILO

10. LILO question, WIN98 dual boot

11. LILO question, WIN98 dual boot.

12. LILO config for dual boot: Win98 / Linux w/two IDE drives

13. If I reinstall Win98 on a dual-boot machine, will it trash LILO?