Failing Sound Card installation 101

Post by mike » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Thanks to those that helped me with my SpeedStar A50 Sis problem.

Now, I need to learn what I should be doing to get an OEM Yamaha card
that plays well in Win95 but hasn't been discovered yet in Linux.  In
windose settings yamaha software tauting DS-XG Wave has been installed.
I don't know whether to use the old Yamaha drivers or soundblaster
compatibles or what?  Is there some program in SuSE 5.3 that will auto
discover the card?

Some facts:

The boot up stream doesn't show a hint referencing a sound card.  The
YAST manager shows the config sound card greyed or to mean not an
option.

Thanks ahead of time.

Mike

Failing Sound Card installation 101

Post by Chang Li » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I just had my Yamaha OPL3-SAX sound card installed in SuSE linux 5.3 last
night.

> Thanks to those that helped me with my SpeedStar A50 Sis problem.

> Now, I need to learn what I should be doing to get an OEM Yamaha card
> that plays well in Win95 but hasn't been discovered yet in Linux.  In
> windose settings yamaha software tauting DS-XG Wave has been installed.
> I don't know whether to use the old Yamaha drivers or soundblaster
> compatibles or what?  Is there some program in SuSE 5.3 that will auto
> discover the card?

Yes. As a matter of fact I have learned by checking out SuSE's WebSite,
Yamaha card is not officially supported in this release. However there is
a demo driver which does support some of the Yamaha Cards. It is called
'ossfree-3.9*' or some similar name, in series 'snd'. You can easily find
it. Note 'oss*3.7' is the final release but doesn't support Yamaha cards.
So use 'Yast' to install 'oss*3.9*', it will be copied to 'tmp/oss*3.9*'
directory, follow the README file there. If your card is supported, it
should be detected automatically. All you have to do is to run 'soundon'
and enjoy after installation!

Quote:> Some facts:

> The boot up stream doesn't show a hint referencing a sound card.  The
> YAST manager shows the config sound card greyed or to mean not an
> option.

Right. As the manual has pointed out, linux bootup does not start sound
module automatically.

Good luck with your installation.

-Chang Lin

Post by Paul Strou » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Try checking out this page http://thor.prohosting.com/~savant or it that is slow try
http://personal.rdu.bellsouth.net/~pstroud/linux

> Hello,
> I just had my Yamaha OPL3-SAX sound card installed in SuSE linux 5.3 last
> night.

> > Thanks to those that helped me with my SpeedStar A50 Sis problem.

> > Now, I need to learn what I should be doing to get an OEM Yamaha card
> > that plays well in Win95 but hasn't been discovered yet in Linux.  In
> > windose settings yamaha software tauting DS-XG Wave has been installed.
> > I don't know whether to use the old Yamaha drivers or soundblaster
> > compatibles or what?  Is there some program in SuSE 5.3 that will auto
> > discover the card?

> Yes. As a matter of fact I have learned by checking out SuSE's WebSite,
> Yamaha card is not officially supported in this release. However there is
> a demo driver which does support some of the Yamaha Cards. It is called
> 'ossfree-3.9*' or some similar name, in series 'snd'. You can easily find
> it. Note 'oss*3.7' is the final release but doesn't support Yamaha cards.
> So use 'Yast' to install 'oss*3.9*', it will be copied to 'tmp/oss*3.9*'
> directory, follow the README file there. If your card is supported, it
> should be detected automatically. All you have to do is to run 'soundon'
> and enjoy after installation!
> > Some facts:

> > The boot up stream doesn't show a hint referencing a sound card.  The
> > YAST manager shows the config sound card greyed or to mean not an
> > option.
> Right. As the manual has pointed out, linux bootup does not start sound
> module automatically.
> Good luck with your installation.
> -Chang Lin

1. Network card installation (ALN-101)

Hi,
I am trying to experiment with Red Hat Linux 5.0 on my old 486. It installs
fine but doesn't recognize my network card. It says that cannot detect any
network card on my system.
The card Acer ALN-101 (NE2000 compatible) and works just fine under Win'95.
I even disabled PnP and tried different I/O and IRQ - no luck!

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,

2. Changing X Resolution and Color Bit

3. Patching from 2.1.101 to 2.1.102 / menuconfig fails

4. MKLinux Installer always crashes

5. 101 questions to do with linux installation!!!

6. Refresh Rate

7. Help with Installation of Mandrake 101

8. HELP! Mouse and CDROM not detected

9. airlink 101 usb wireless ethernet card

10. isa aln-101 ethernet card not detected

11. Help with AOpen ALN-101 Ethernet Card

12. Problems with Acer ALN-101 network card

13. AOpen ALN-101 Ethernet Card + Linux = Frustration