X vs PPPd

Post by Andre D. Ben » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi there I am having a problem configuring X and pppd. Let me give you
some background. Apparently whenever I alter my /etc/inittab file to
allow the x display manager (xdm) to load during startup I cannot use
pppd to dial my ISP. The modem lights just blink but does not dial even
though I use it as a root user. However if I set my run default Id as 5
(the slakware default) in the /etc/inittab (multiuser runmode) and I log
into my system using the normal bash prompt instead of the Xwindow login
as root I can use pppd to connect to my ISP and everything is fine. I
just simply issue startx and I am into my xwindow client where I can use
netscape and all the window goodies. My question then is how can I
access pppd (via ppp-on) by using xdm. I really don't want my system to
start using the bash prompt. Is there a way this can be achieved. I
tried changing the file modifications to allow other users to own the
ppp configuration files but this did not have any impact. Anyone that
have an idea as to what I'm referring to can send me a reply. I will
really appreciate it. Thanks for your time and cooperation.
--
Andre D. Benn
Masters of Science in Information Systems

X vs PPPd

Post by Steve May » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi there I am having a problem configuring X and pppd. Let me give you
>some background.

. My question then is how can I
Quote:>access pppd (via ppp-on) by using xdm. I really don't want my system to
>start using the bash prompt. Is there a way this can be achieved.
>--

Andre,

   There is a great package called xisp that will perform your ppp dialup
from within X-Windows.  The last version that I've see is 1.9 and was last
seen on ftp://sunsite.unc.edu.
   You need to get the latest (0.86 I think) version of the XForms library
for this package to compile properly.

Steve Mayer

X vs PPPd

Post by Ian Teste » Wed, 04 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hi there I am having a problem configuring X and pppd. Let me give you
> some background. Apparently whenever I alter my /etc/inittab file to
> allow the x display manager (xdm) to load during startup I cannot use
> pppd to dial my ISP. The modem lights just blink but does not dial even
> though I use it as a root user. However if I set my run default Id as 5
> (the slakware default) in the /etc/inittab (multiuser runmode) and I log
> into my system using the normal bash prompt instead of the Xwindow login
> as root I can use pppd to connect to my ISP and everything is fine. I
> just simply issue startx and I am into my xwindow client where I can use
> netscape and all the window goodies. My question then is how can I
> access pppd (via ppp-on) by using xdm. I really don't want my system to
> start using the bash prompt. Is there a way this can be achieved. I
> tried changing the file modifications to allow other users to own the
> ppp configuration files but this did not have any impact. Anyone that
> have an idea as to what I'm referring to can send me a reply. I will
> really appreciate it. Thanks for your time and cooperation.

ok,
        firstly, you really shouldn't be doing 'normal' stuff with the
root account. It's a pretty big security risk, and you can quite easily
do some damage (i.e deleting important files). You should make a user
account for yourself and only use root when you need to.

        I don't use xdm myself, but I suspect your problem is one of
permissions. Try starting a ppp connection as a normal user. If you
can't, then go and look at the permissions of the various files. The
system logs would be a good place to look too. Try /var/log/messages or
/var/log/kernel. If pppd's failing it should be logging it somewhere
(possibly telling you which file has the wrong permissions).

hope this helps
bye

8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
                           Ian Tester, *8)#

http://athene.mit.csu.edu.au/~iteste01/           finger or key server

Caffeine not found, programmer aborted.

1. PPP problem: pppd-2.2 vs. pppd-2.3

Hi folks,

I have two linux boxes with different distributions. One is a
SuSe 4.4 (Kernel patched to 2.0.30) and the other is a RedHat
Linux 5.0 (Hurricane) Kernel 2.0.36 (native).

When connecting with the older Linux (SuSe 4.4) to my ISP
everything works fine. PPP with DIALD (own IP) - just ok.
When connecting with the other machine (RedHat 5.0) using
the same configuration files the connection is established,
the IPs are displayed in /var/log/messages and a default-
route is entered in the routing table - but: No packets
are transmitted!

When executing a traceroute I get the message that two network
devices are found - using eth0 instead of ppp0...
although the routing table should point to the ppp0 device
for the defaultroute (pinging to a machine outside).
There is no firewall installed onto this machine.
When turning to kdebug 1 in pppd I get the error message:

Feb 26 23:59:31 cobra kernel: ppp: frame with bad fcs, excess = abda

Well, always another excess value - but the problem does not
go away - I changed cables, ISDN adaptors and everything.
It must be something in the software...

The SuSe machine has pppd 2.2 pl0 - Redhat has pppd 2.3 pl3

Any ideas of what I could have done wrong? I know there are
differences in the secrets files for chap and pap (concerning
the IP which are allowed - I respected that....)

Any help is appreciated.

Stefan.

--

DMSP Internet Marketing, Berlin, Germany (http://www.dmsp.com)
Internet Services & Applications, Online Shopping, Web Hosting

2. ksh question

3. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

4. Sound on Linux (RedHat.3.0.3)

5. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

6. How to clean /var/saf/zsmon/log file

7. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

8. WWW: Practical Enterprise Linux/Open Source Site Launched

9. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

10. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE

11. Redhat vs Debian vs Yggdrasil vs Caldera vs ...

12. Dip vs pppd w/ USR 28.8 ?

13. pppd vs 'Remote access controller', help