fetchmail as a forwarder only.

Post by Gary Stainbur » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to make fetchmail collect the mail from a pop3 account
and forward to sendmail WITHOUT trying to be clever.  It tries to check the
destination user and fails, then tries to forward everything to root, and
then fails trying DNS lookups on the sender.

fetchmail as a forwarder only.

Post by J?rg Sommersber » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know how to make fetchmail collect the mail from a pop3 account
> and forward to sendmail WITHOUT trying to be clever.  It tries to check the
> destination user and fails, then tries to forward everything to root, and
> then fails trying DNS lookups on the sender.

I'm using fetchmail with the "-S" option, so it forwards all mail to the smtp Port on my system :

fetchmail mail.myprovider.com -u myaccount -S localhost

According to the man-page it should also work with the "-m" option which causes fetchmail to deliver to a MDA directly. Check the man-page.

J?rg Sommersberg

1. To fetchmail or not to fetchmail

I have exhausted the docs, and newsgroups, so please don't bitch at me
about RTFM.

here is my scenario

I operate my own domain behind an ADSL connection.  This is working
great, and has been for over a year now.  I run sendmail, apache, and
BIND. My servers are up almost 99.99% of the time (24/7). I have been
getting more and more spam from my legacy ISP email accounts, and so I
decided to implement a spamassisin based solution ( GREAT article here
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2003-05-13-011-26-OS-HL-NT
).

Now the problem I am having is understanding how to get fetchmail to
start at boot time, and run continuously checking for my legacy ISP
mail and then transfer it through my own MTA so that spamassasin gets
invoked.

So, a few simple questions:

1.) Is fetchmail the correct solution in the first place, or can
sendmail also poll external POP accounts ?   (I read something
confusing about this and wasn't sure, so checked all the sendmail docs
I could find, and couldn't see it discussed at all, so I am assuming
this is not an option)

Assuming a fetchmail solution
2.) how to start fetchmail at boot so that it runs correctly and polls
say, every 15 mins ?

I have a .fetchmailrc file which works with this command line
fetchmail -v -f '/home/USER/.fetchmailrc'

fetchmail sucessfully delivers mail from my ISP accounts to sendmail,

3.) how do I change this so that sendmail passed on the originating
sender ?

2. Reading Shadow encrypted password of a user

3. Dynamically add DNS forwarders

4. NEED NEW NETWORK CARD RECOMMENDATION!!!!

5. Name server and forwarders

6. Linux?OpenBSD choice, not a troll!

7. Looking for TCP port forwarder

8. Webtrends-like software for OpenBSD?

9. Being the Internet forwarder for a domain other than yours

10. DNS and forwarders

11. internet forwarder for windoze clients

12. forwarders in named.boot not working?

13. Two different forwarders on bind9