Lost+found dir How to fix?

Lost+found dir How to fix?

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



On Sat, 15 Apr 2000 00:11:48 GMT, Matt

Quote:>Hi,
>I had a hardware failure that killed my Linux box.  As a result I now have
>files in my lost+found directory.  Question is:  How do I put these
>files/dir's back where they belong?

Use "file" and/or "less" to figure out what the files were, and use "mv"
or "cp" to put them back... you DID have a fairly recent backup, didn't
you?  If there are more than 20 or so files in /lost+found, then restoring
from backup would be the easiest and fastest way.

Since files ending up in /lost+found are ref'ed by inode number, it might
be a good idea to do an "ls -iR > inode.txt" for each filesystem, and save
that file somewhere safe Just In Case.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors
But only Light too dim for us to see      \#| Lusers are vicious drama critics
(Unless, of course, you're working with NT)\| BOFHen burn down theatres.

 
 
 

Lost+found dir How to fix?

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Hi,

> I had a hardware failure that killed my Linux box.  As a result I now have
> files in my lost+found directory.  Question is:  How do I put these
> files/dir's back where they belong?

Usually what you find in lost+found is fragments of files.
If you are lucky, you may be able to use an editor like
emacs to extract some useful text from such a fragment.
But you probably won't be able to reconstruct anything.
It is much simpler to reinstall Linux.

--


Dept. of Mathematics, Northwestern Univ., Evanston, IL 60208

 
 
 

Lost+found dir How to fix?

Post by swoo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Quote:> Usually what you find in lost+found is fragments of files.
> If you are lucky, you may be able to use an editor like
> emacs to extract some useful text from such a fragment.
> But you probably won't be able to reconstruct anything.
> It is much simpler to reinstall Linux.

yea, what he said...

    usually you can s*anything *found* in the lost+found dir.  its
kinda sorta a tmp directory.  ya know?

     -swooz

 
 
 

Lost+found dir How to fix?

Post by John Nies » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Quote:>     usually you can s*anything *found* in the lost+found dir.  its
> kinda sorta a tmp directory.  ya know?

NO WAY!  that is total bullshit!  I did that about a year ago, and had all
sorts of problems, mostly with the OS saying files that I knew were there
werent there.  The only solution I found after deleting all those "scraps"
was to reformat after removing the faulty hardware.  my advice, DO NOT
delete those files, try to figure out where they belong.

John