Dual boot problems! Win2k & Linux Suse 7

Dual boot problems! Win2k & Linux Suse 7

Post by Nei » Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:55:37

I am trying to dual boot between these OS's on a laptop. Problem is
Linux's Ext2 partition won't read the Win2k NTFS partition. And vice
versa. Is this normal? And how do I create an entry in the Boot.ini of
NTLDR on Win2k so that Linux appears on the boot menu. Please help.
I'm a newbie at linux.

Remove underscores for email address

Dual boot problems! Win2k & Linux Suse 7

Post by Clemens Buschma » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 00:35:13

Hello !

N> I am trying to dual boot between these OS's on a laptop. Problem is
N> Linux's Ext2 partition won't read the Win2k NTFS partition. And vice
N> versa. Is this normal? And how do I create an entry in the Boot.ini
N> of NTLDR on Win2k so that Linux appears on the boot menu. Please
N> help. I'm a newbie at linux.

Imho the best multiboot utility at present is grub.
However you need a certain understanding of disk
geometry and *nix partition labels.

So as a start I'd recommend:

BOOTPART 2.20 : Boot Partitition for WinNT.
Easy tool to add a partition to the
Windows NT multi boot menu (for example,
OS/2 boot manager or Linux partition).
NEW : Easy addition of Dos6.22 and Win95 in WinNT
menu, repair the WinNT boot sector.
Small freeware from G. Vollant (WinImage).
Web : http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

which sets things up from the Win's point of view.

Re NTFS support you have to compile it into the
kernel. However afaik write access is still not
recommended. There's no easy route from 2K to
extfs but you might want to set up a (2GB) FAT16
partition that serves as a transfer media between
your two OS's - and more to come.

Good luck,
Clemens

Dual boot problems! Win2k & Linux Suse 7

Post by Ramachandran, Madhu [NCRTP:3X30:EXCH » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 01:06:49

check this link out.
http://classes.csumb.edu/CST/CST434-01/world/DualBoot.html

> I am trying to dual boot between these OS's on a laptop. Problem is
> Linux's Ext2 partition won't read the Win2k NTFS partition. And vice
> versa. Is this normal? And how do I create an entry in the Boot.ini of
> NTLDR on Win2k so that Linux appears on the boot menu. Please help.
> I'm a newbie at linux.

> Remove underscores for email address

Dual boot problems! Win2k & Linux Suse 7

Post by Nico Kadel-Garci » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:09:57

Quote:> I am trying to dual boot between these OS's on a laptop. Problem is
> Linux's Ext2 partition won't read the Win2k NTFS partition. And vice
> versa. Is this normal? And how do I create an entry in the Boot.ini of
> NTLDR on Win2k so that Linux appears on the boot menu. Please help.
> I'm a newbie at linux.

Modern Linux kernels can *READ* NTFS safely, and write to it with
considerable danger. (UNIX doesn't have the ownership concepts that
Micro$oft integrated into NTFS, so it's fragile.)

Windoze *cannot* read ext2 or ext3 filesystems. Set aside a modest partition
and make it FAT32 to trade files back and forth, or get a copy of VMware to
allow you to run both OS's simultaneously.

Use grub to create a better MBR that provides Linux/Windows as boot options,
or Search The Fine Web for the dual-boot solution you want (which involves
creating an MBR someplace safe, then copying it into a file under Windows
and listing it as a boot loader).

1. Dual Booting Win2k NTFS & SUSE 7.0

I have a 40GB NTFS Win2k partition which is all running nicely and an 8GB
FAT32 drive which is empty on which I want to install a 5GB partition set
for SUSE linux.  On my Win98/SUSE 6.1 setup I used loadlin to boot a linux
partition on the secondary hard drive.  I want to use the Win2k boot loader
and keep the current setup I have.  (I am assuming linux can read but not
write to NTFS and can do both on FAT32 - which I believe is the case).

Would either of the following work:

a) Install SUSE to a partition on hdd2, install loadlin to the FAT32 drive
and make a reference to the loadlin bootfile in the Win2k boot.ini file.
(or does the bootfile have to be in root NT directory (e.g. C:)?)

b) Install SUSE to the beginning of hdd2, install LILO to the linux boot
partition (not MBR), copy the boot image to the FAT32 drive and then link to
it in the Win2k boot.ini file.

Any advice?  Also I assume I can just boot off the first SUSE 7.0 CD and
then use YAST to configure partitions, as in SUSE 6.1?

Thanks for any info,
Paul

2. Q: Default directory for shell

3. Dual Boot: WIN2K & Caldera eDESK2.4 or Redhat 6.2 Problem...

4. Need help with DNS

5. RedHat7.1 & Win2k dual boot problem

6. help for X of linux

7. Installing Windows 2000 on Secondary IDE Channel [Dual boot config: Linux & Win2k]

8. Compressed Files

9. Linux & Win2K dual booting

10. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?

11. Dual Win2K/RH 7.1 Linux booting problems

12. Problem with grub dual-booting Linux and Win2K