Shadow passwd breaks telnet login?

Post by Leejay W » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Situation:
    I've added shadow support (via the RPMs at ftp.broadwaynet.com) to my
Red Hat 3.0.3 system (pretty vanilla, but running kernel 2.0.0), and come
across the following problem:

    Telnet logins (for any user) do not currently work.  Console logins and
ftp work fine, I did install the shadowed NetKit-B rpm, and nothing terribly
obvious seemed amiss in /etc/login.defs; but even if the correct passwd is
typed, the system responds "incorrect login" ...

    ...yet, I think that it *is* getting to /etc/shadow, as it does use user-
dependent /etc/limits information (tested by varying the number of logins
allowed), and in.telnetd *is* listed with the same date as the other updated
in.* ...

    ideas?  is it probably something in /etc/login.access or /etc/login.defs?

--Leejay Wu- PGP keyprint: F3 FC EB 0E 2C 31 F3 08 96 A2 B4 E2 5A 3E 47 6A --

| truth... I speak for none but myself... finger for GC, W3 URLs, PGP stuff |
--Carpe carp --- Information is power ---- this .sig last revised 950925 ---|

Shadow passwd breaks telnet login?

Post by Leejay W » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> [snip]

doh!  Checked /etc/login.access, and altered it to be much more free with
logins; works fine now.

--Leejay Wu- PGP keyprint: F3 FC EB 0E 2C 31 F3 08 96 A2 B4 E2 5A 3E 47 6A --

| truth... I speak for none but myself... finger for GC, W3 URLs, PGP stuff |
--Carpe carp --- Information is power ---- this .sig last revised 950925 ---|

1. shadow passwd - login.defs

In the login.defs file there is a switch to disable logins for users by
putting NOLOGIN in the shell field in the /etc/passwd file. This is
supposed to disable logins but still allow "su".  When I do a "usermod -s
NOLOGIN testuser" and try to login under testuser I get an error that it
can't execute NOLOGIN : No such file or directory.  When I try to su -
testuser I get the same error and don't get logged in as that user.  Can
anyone help me with this.

J.D. Lacey

2. Wietse's VMail Project: Web Pages Available

3. : ftpd, login and shadow passwd.

4. IP Aliasing and Firewall Rules

5. xdm, login, shadow passwd

6. mount: RPC: Timed out -- This must be an FAQ by now...

7. shadow passwd and login shell

8. Implementing a shell

9. shadow passwd - login.defs

10. changing passwd on NIS server updates /etc/shadow only and not shadow.byname map

11. I cannot get Shadow-3.3.1 to create shadow passwd file

12. shadow files getting wiped out (standard passwd/shadow)

13. Convert NIS passwd back to standard /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow