AWE-32/IDE CD-ROM conflict in RH4.1

Post by Guy Teag » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hardware is Dell XMT590 with an IDE CD-ROM on the secondary IDE bus as
master and the AWE-32 PnP sound card. No SCSI. I do have an audio
patchcord from the CD-ROM to the AWE-32, though this shouldn't figure in.
Everything works fine under DOS, W95 and NT4.0, BTW.

Upon initial (*) install everything works perfectly with, of course,
no sound. When I re-compile the kernel to add sound support, I just use
the built-in SB16 module. Upon re-boot the sound works fine, but when I
try to mount my CD-ROM drive, either manually (at a console or an xterm)
or through the supplied Control Panel in X, the system hangs permanently,
requiring a cold boot and a *long* time for fsck to repair my filesystem.

Needless to say, this is a *very* tedious problem to troubleshoot and my
newness at Linux has kept me trying new config options thinking that if I
just get the *right* combination of settings, things will magically start
to work. I suspect I've set a new world's record for number of times
re-installing in a 3-week period. <g>

Peripheral info and issues: The CD-ROM is a 3-holer Torisan (OEM=Sanyo).
I could care less that only one slot is recognized by Linux, but sometimes
when the mount command hangs, the CD-ROM will cycle through the 3 slots
and then nothing. I've tried all this with all 3 slots filled, with them
all empty but the holder inserted, and with the holder cassette completely
out.

Also, upon occasion, I'll get the message 'wrong media type', or 'changing
media type', before it hangs. No amount of fiddling with the CD-ROM or
media will clear this lockup.

Also, after the first hang, if I retry the mount operation using the X
control panel, I'll get a dialogue box asking if I want to replace a
'fstab.bak' file (which, btw, doesn't exist by that name, according to
locate). NO matter whether I select 'Yes' or 'No', the system just dies at
that point.

I'm at work and not at my system right now, so I don't have all the
addresses to hand.  I know the boot process has two lines concerning IDE
buses at IRQ 14 and 15, but these lines are the same with or without sound
support. I know the sound card is at 0x260,5,0,5 and I tell it -1 for MUX
to disable. My modem is at IRQ3 and the Eth Card is at 11.

I have read all the CD-ROM and Sound How-to's and none address this issue,
which seems to be my particular hardware selection and configuration of
components.  I'm hoping someone has had a similar problem and can point me
in the right direction. I can email the RH support folks when I find my
ID#, which I've misplaced, natch! And to forestall any one-liners such as
'go SCSI', I fully intend to as soon as I can afford a SCSI card!

I thought Unix in general never allowed a complete system freeze. Is it
that Linux has to support so many different components not found in the
minicomputer world that it goes against the Unix norm?

Thanks mucho,

/guy
--

------  -----    <http://www.veryComputer.com/;    -------

AWE-32/IDE CD-ROM conflict in RH4.1

Post by Lars Torben Wilso » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

[schnip]

Quote:> or through the supplied Control Panel in X, the system hangs permanently,
> requiring a cold boot and a *long* time for fsck to repair my filesystem.

[schnip]

Hmm...try this: Ctrl-Alt-F2. See if you get to another VT. Log in as root.
Run 'ps -a', find mount's PID, and kill it.

This, of course, assumes you're in X. If not, try just Alt-F2 (or F3 or
whatever).

As for the actual problem, try cat'ing /proc/dma, /proc/interrupts, and
/proc/ioports. This'll give you the information as to what your IRQs,
DMAs, and suchlike are. Check your kernel config. Get the values you use
with W95 and try those. Are you sure that this CD-ROM doesn't require
a special driver? (I don't have any experience with changers). It
shouldn't be IRQs, tho'; nothing else should be on 14 or 15. 15 should
be your second channel, with the CD.

You'll probably need to supply more info as to the command you're running
(e.g. arguments etc.).

BTW, locate will only find files that are listed in its database;
that's why it's so fast. Your fstab.bak should be in /etc.

Lars Torben Wilson                     "Most people wouldn't know music if
student, Computer Science Dep't.        it came up and bit them on the ass."
University of Tampere, Finland                               - Frank Zappa

http://www.uta.fi/~cslawi

AWE-32/IDE CD-ROM conflict in RH4.1

Post by Guy Teag » Thu, 24 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Bad form to follow my own post, but ...

want to thanks Gadi Oxman for the quick and accurate solution, viz:

"Try booting with "ide0=serialize" as a command line parameter to the
kernel.

If it helps, recompile the kernel, and answer 'y' to "CMD640 chipset
bugfix/support" during the "make config" step."

And, as a bonus, he included a pointer to a program to utilize all 3
platters of my CD-ROM changer!

Kudos and thanks,

/guy

: --

: ------  -----    <http://www.veryComputer.com/;    -------

--

------  -----    <http://www.veryComputer.com/;    -------

1. 6X Creative Labs CD-ROM and AWE-32 will not work for me

I think I have tried every configuration i can.  I have right now put
my cd-rom on the second ide port on the same cable as my hard drive,
configured the CD-ROM to slave.  I cannot get this f'ing cd-rom to work.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?
--
                                -McBain

http://www.winternet.com/~mcbain

2. Mail Slowdown Today

3. Possible conflict AWE-32 PnP and X

4. Drivers for 9-track tape Controller?

5. sendmail

6. SB 16 AWE 32 PnP CD-ROM workaround problem solved!

7. Something to "advocate" about..

8. Mitsumi Cd-ROM / Sb-Awe 32 Problems !

9. SB 32 IDE and CD-ROM problems

10. Help with IDE CHINON CD-ROM and Sound Blaster 32

11. AWE 32 PnP ressource conflict

12. Using SB AWE-32's memory