At my wits end ... I can't get Netscape running!

At my wits end ... I can't get Netscape running!

Post by Kevin Wils » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

After an extremely tedious upgrade in kernals then getting PPP to work
again I just recently downloaded Netscape. Every time I go to run it,
I get an error stating it can't find libX**.*. I'm assuming I'm
missing a group of Libraries that are required. I've looked and looked
with no luck. Afer reading Nestscapes README file I also noticed that
it requires something called Motif? I looked at sunsite and all I
could find were some brief mentions about Motif. What is it and where
can I get it. Also I noticed that Netscape may be incompatible with
certain versions of libc so I downloaded the newer versions but I
can't them to install correctly. Whenever I do a make install
everything copies find for about 5 seconds then it aborts leaving a
string of stray files all over my drive. It seems like I'm missing
more libraries than I thought. I'm about ready to rip the OS off of my
system out of frustration. Any and all help would be more than
appreciated. I'm still kinda new at this as you can see :). If any
replys could you please send it via E-mail also. My news server leaves
a lot to be desired.

Thank you,
Kevin Wilson

Post by Michael J Van Der Gul » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>After an extremely tedious upgrade in kernals then getting PPP to work
>again I just recently downloaded Netscape. Every time I go to run it,
>I get an error stating it can't find libX**.*.

I use redhat 5.1, netscape worked straight away. If you are missing
any libraries then they should come with your distribution.

Quote:>I'm assuming I'm
>missing a group of Libraries that are required. I've looked and looked
>with no luck. Afer reading Nestscapes README file I also noticed that
>it requires something called Motif? I looked at sunsite and all I
>could find were some brief mentions about Motif. What is it and where
>can I get it.

Motif (LibXm.so.? I think) is a commercial (non-free) widget set for
X. There are plans to create a free version (Lesstif ;) plus I think
that a couple of Linux companies sell their own versions? In my
experiance, Netscape doesn't need it.

Quote:>Also I noticed that Netscape may be incompatible with
>certain versions of libc so I downloaded the newer versions but I
>can't them to install correctly.

Which distribution and version of Linux are you using? libc5 or libc6?

Quote:>Whenever I do a make install
>everything copies find for about 5 seconds then it aborts leaving a
>string of stray files all over my drive. It seems like I'm missing
>more libraries than I thought. I'm about ready to rip the OS off of my
>system out of frustration. Any and all help would be more than
>appreciated. I'm still kinda new at this as you can see :). If any
>replys could you please send it via E-mail also. My news server leaves
>a lot to be desired.

Nah.

The easiest way to have Linux working with netscape is to get Redhat
5.1. Netscape is bundled with Redhat, which is very handy.

1. PPP configuration problem - (I'm at my wit's end)

Hello,  I'm brand new to the Linux world.  I've read every related
document that came with my distribution and still can't figure out
what's wrong.

I installed Linux and X11 from a new Infomagic distribution.
Everything went very smoothly and configuration was a breeze, except
for a strange problem with PPP.

Using dip, I connect to my ppp server via 14400 modem, send my
username, password, and issue a ppp and end with 'mode PPP'.  All of
the IPs are dynamic (that is the IP assinged to my machine and the IP
of the machine I'm connected to) This works fine - I can telnet,
finger, ftp, ping, etc.  When I use ifconfig and route to look at the
current network status everything looks OK - my IP and the P-t-P IP
look OK.

HOWEVER, I can't get Netscape 2.02 working correctly.  If I give it a
host name it gets the IP and says "Connect:  Host conntacted, waiting
for reply" or something to that effect, but I never get any reply -
its like Netscape can find the host but the host can't send anything
back.

Is this a routing problem?  How do I configure it so that programs
other than telnet, ftp, etc. can work.

I've never done any network configuration so I'm not really sure how
to fix this problem.

jeff lee.

2. Unable to install NetBSD 1.0 for Sparc 1+

3. FPC Setup "Free Pascal Compiler, I am at wit's end"

4. news: French schools go open source

5. ?: how is the loopback created; at wit's end

6. Installing gcc packaged on RH8

7. NIS problems (at wit's end)

8. tape to tape copy

9. Help, I'm at my wits end over PPP

10. At wit's end with RealTek 8139c

11. Unstable ODT3 server... At wit's end

12. At wit's end...

13. Wit's end question -- files go to print spooler and are never printed