Sound or more specifically, MP3's

Post by Igor » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hey there everyone. I tried to set up sound on my LInux box, and got pretty
far after recompling the kernel (I now have 2.0.33)
I can use workman, and play sounds by doing "cat xxxxx.au > /dev/audio". I
cannot get my mp3's to play though. I have a genuine sound blaster, and a
P200MMX box w/ 64 MB ram.

Can anyone suggest what i should do, what the problem may be, and
how do i test if it works or not?

Also how do you play midi and wav files on linux. do i need some special
player?

Thanx in advance,
Igor

Post by Victor Wagn » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

: Hey there everyone. I tried to set up sound on my LInux box, and got pretty
: far after recompling the kernel (I now have 2.0.33)
: I can use workman, and play sounds by doing "cat xxxxx.au > /dev/audio". I
: cannot get my mp3's to play though. I have a genuine sound blaster, and a
: P200MMX box w/ 64 MB ram.

Install correct playing program. For example mpg123 (it is included in
Redhat contrib, or can be found separately on the web)

: Can anyone suggest what i should do, what the problem may be, and
: how do i test if it works or not?

: Also how do you play midi and wav files on linux. do i need some special
: player?
There is sndutils package, which contain various player scripts.

And there is sox utility which converts files betwen various audio
format.

Things can be more complicated with MIDI. It has to be supported by
kernel driver and need special software (included in sndutils, I think)

: Thanx in advance,
: Igor

Institute for Commerce          Office:7-(095)-333-2022
Engineering                     Home: 7-(095)-135-46-61
Programmer                      http://www.fe.msk.ru/~vitus

Post by Ralph Bodenne » Tue, 21 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> Hey there everyone. I tried to set up sound on my LInux box, and got pretty
> far after recompling the kernel (I now have 2.0.33)
> I can use workman, and play sounds by doing "cat xxxxx.au > /dev/audio". I
> cannot get my mp3's to play though. I have a genuine sound blaster, and a
> P200MMX box w/ 64 MB ram.

> Can anyone suggest what i should do, what the problem may be, and
> how do i test if it works or not?

what are you using to play mp3s?  mpg123 works well, you can get it from
any of the major archives.  there are also several good GUI mp3 players,
like gmp3, tk3play, and x11amp.

Quote:> Also how do you play midi and wav files on linux. do i need some special
> player?

i'm not sure about midi, but you can play .wavs with splay or xwave.

Ralph Bodenner

Sound or more specifically, MP3's

Post by Michael » Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:00:00

You do need a player for midi and mp3 (and mp2) and wav
Goto www.mpeg.org.  There are lists of palyers.  One is maplay for win32
have been ported to Linux.  I found it is nice.

playmidi can play midi (but you do need midi support in kernel I guess)
bplay can play wav .

Hope it help.

--
Michael