RH5.0 install PCMCIA problem

Post by Michael Rueckbrod » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Please help me,

I have the problem that the install requested the 2nd disk (supplemental
disk for ftp, hard drive and PCMCIA installs) and after that i see 'loading
PCMCIA' and then the install hang.
What can i do ?
Have someone an idea or a link where i can get infos ?
Thanx in advance

RH5.0 install PCMCIA problem

Post by Jacek Pliszk » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have the problem that the install requested the 2nd disk (supplemental
> disk for ftp, hard drive and PCMCIA installs) and after that i see 'loading
> PCMCIA' and then the install hang.

www.dejanews.com Powersearch com.os.linux.setup search for PCMCIA.

If you want any help, please, be more specific. e.g.
Do you have PCMCIA? Are you sure your installation disks
are OK (e.g. worked on other machine)? What is on other consoles:
Alt-F2,Alt-F3,Alt-F4? If you have PCMCIA, was any PCMCIA
card in the slot when the problem occured?

Jacek

RH5.0 install PCMCIA problem

Post by Michael Rueckbrod » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have a laptop (Compaq Armada 7792 DMT) with 2 PCMCIA Slots.
I use a 3com ethernet card and an EICON DIEHL DIVA PRO card.
During the installation, the PCMCIA cards were in the slots.
The installation requested the supplemental disk and after that it hang.
All is working with Windows NT.
The installation disks are OK, because on other laptops it is working fine
and i use the original disks.
On the other consoles i see different things, but i have no shell !!!
In one console, i can enter a command, but nothing happens.
The cursor is jumping in the next row without a response.
I think the compaq laptop it not compatible for RH 5.0.
That is all i can say.
By the way i tried to install RH5.0 on a normal PC and after the hardware
detection the monitor lost the syncron signal and it turns off. The whole
PC is then*.
But this is not so important.

Thanx in advance !!!

Regards,

Michael Rueckbrodt

Quote:> Please help me,

Post by Steve Luzynsk » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> Please help me,

> I have the problem that the install requested the 2nd disk (supplemental
> disk for ftp, hard drive and PCMCIA installs) and after that i see 'loading
> PCMCIA' and then the install hang.
> What can i do ?
> Have someone an idea or a link where i can get infos ?
> Thanx in advance

RedHat 5.0 won't easily install on that unit because the PCMCIA
controller is CardBus. Either get 5.1, or install without PCMCIA support
and add it in later (make sure you add in a 3.x.x version).