No telnet, IRC

Post by TiM » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I currently have Slackware Linux 3.9 installed. However, my problem existed
when I had 3.6.

Working perfectly, no problems. But all of a sudden, I am not able to telnet
out or IRC. However, I can ping sites just fine. (I can ping the name and IP
of the server with no problems, I can't telnet out with either the name or
IP of a server).

When I reboot the machine, telnet works for about 15 minutes, then stops.
When I attempt to telnet out I get:

Trying <insert_ip_here>...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

I thought, perhaps, that there was something totally messed up, so I
upgraded to 3.9 (I know it's not the newest version, but it still should
work). However, it still did not solve my problem.

I also have 2 other boxes (Windows98 and Windows NT 4.0 Server) that are
connected to the Linux box (Masqueraded). With these boxes, I can telnet out
just fine. I can IRC just fine. So I am totally confused now and don't know
where else to look. Like I said, everything worked until just recently. I do
not remember changed anything as far as configuration except the addition of
the NT box which is set up as a Primary Domain Controller. Because of this,
I disconnect the NT box from the network, reboot Linux, and the problem
cropped up again.

I thought orginally that it was the name server (DNS) that I was connected
to, but I switched to a new DNS and I still had the same problem. It just
seems weird to me that I've upgraded and have other computers on the network
that can telnet out. And that I've been able to telnet out in the past. And
for 15 minutes (or there abouts) I am able to telnet out, but then it just
quits.

Any and ALL suggestions are welcome. Thank you for your time.

No telnet, IRC

Post by Steve Housem » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Strange one , because it changes with time .

Dont know the answer but some thoughts ...
- is there free space in important file systems , df should reveal
  problems and a full say, /var could cause some very odd problems.
- dns is only needed if using names, if fails with dotted IP
  then is not a name server problem.
- if ping works then route should be ok and probably other machine
   is alive(?)
- does telnet 127.0.0.1  work ?
- my favourite suggestion - strace - use strace on  the telnet
  and see where it is* ...
  - if in connect then ......  beyond me :-(
  - elsewhere then should reveal some clues
- does tcpdump reveal packets flying when you try to telnet

Hope you fix it soon,

Cheers,

Steve Houseman

--

currently  steve.houseman at * net

No telnet, IRC

Post by Keith Kell » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I currently have Slackware Linux 3.9 installed. However, my problem existed
> when I had 3.6.

> Working perfectly, no problems. But all of a sudden, I am not able to telnet
> out or IRC. However, I can ping sites just fine. (I can ping the name and IP
> of the server with no problems, I can't telnet out with either the name or
> IP of a server).

One comment to indirectly address your problem: ping uses the
ICMP protocol, while telnet uses TCP.  So it is possible (though
bizarre) for ping to work but not telnet.

Try a telnet out to port 80 on some host, which is the http
port on most machines.  (Try it to your ISP, even:
telnet www.home.com 80)  That might give some info.

-- Keith

maintainer of alt.os.linux.slackware FAQ

No telnet, IRC

Post by TiM » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I gave that a whirl... and I received the same messages... it just said
trying <ip address> and sat there.

I also have noticed, that the Linux box takes longer (after the initial 15
minutes) to allow me to connect. Usually when I telnet into the box from
windows it is an instant connection. However, after the 15 minutes goes by,
it takes about 5 secs before it allows me in.

> > I currently have Slackware Linux 3.9 installed. However, my problem
existed
> > when I had 3.6.

> > Working perfectly, no problems. But all of a sudden, I am not able to
telnet
> > out or IRC. However, I can ping sites just fine. (I can ping the name
and IP
> > of the server with no problems, I can't telnet out with either the name
or
> > IP of a server).

> One comment to indirectly address your problem: ping uses the
> ICMP protocol, while telnet uses TCP.  So it is possible (though
> bizarre) for ping to work but not telnet.

> Try a telnet out to port 80 on some host, which is the http
> port on most machines.  (Try it to your ISP, even:
> telnet www.home.com 80)  That might give some info.

> -- Keith

> maintainer of alt.os.linux.slackware FAQ

1. Problems with IRC run remotely through a telnet session

I have several people who log onto my Linux machine to use irc, which I
have set up.  Most have no problems.  All of them are using regular
telnet.  Two people have been unable to use irc because when they try to
start it they get a segmentation fault.  Does anyone have any idea why
this is happening or what I can do to fix it?  Email replies would be
best.  Thanks.

KB

2. SunRay + DHCP

3. How to use IRC with telnet proxy?

4. NIS setup question

5. need...telnet access to free shell, that can handle irc.....

6. SCO Questions...

7. IRC and IRC Server

8. Slakware Install Problems

9. How to make netstat show IRC as IRC, instead of 6667?

10. Can't keep my IRC connections stable with text-based IRC clients?

11. IRC server source and/or IRC protocol specs

12. IRC server / Serveur IRC

13. How to make netstat show IRC as IRC, instead of 6667?