no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

1. netcfg: TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

When trying to run NETCFG I get the following error
        TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

This also happens when I try to run ethercfg.  This is a standalone
fresh install on a machine that I want to get up on the network.  The
NIC cards are in the box but not configured yet.  I am running Redhat
5.2.

I have tried the following with no luck:
   export DISPLAY=:0.0
   export DISPLAY=:0
These were mentioned in some other posts I found as possible
solutions.

Please remove NOSPAM from email address before replying via Email

2. Network Error Question - Mount: RPC: Program Not Registered - Huh???

3. Setting the DISPLAY Environment variable

4. combined modem/ethernet card

5. Displaying environment variables dynamically in a Korn Shell Script

6. Patch against stack overflow exploits?

7. Display value of environment variable

8. What is a good ethernet card to get?

9. Environment Variable - $DISPLAY

10. Telnet Session Default DISPLAY Environment Variable

11. Automatically Set DISPLAY Environment Variable after rlogin

12. What are the JDK DISPLAY environment variable

13. DISPLAY Environment Variable