Newbie question on lilo

Post by Olaf Seeger » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

I'm struggeling with my suse7.0 installation. I installed it on a 30GB Disk
in a partition that it completely
above the 1024 cylinder. I downloaded lilo21.6 and installed it. Now I like
to install lilo in the mbr but I
allways get the error message that I should use the lba32 keyword. How? I
read the manpages but I only found that this option exist but not how to use
it. At the moment I only can start linux with the installtion CD, what
is not what I want.
Anyone who can help me?

Thanks in advance,

Olaf

Newbie question on lilo

Post by Tom Pfeife » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The file /etc/lilo.conf is the configuration file for Lilo. To use the
lba32 keyword, you simply insert it in /etc/lilo.conf. For example,
here's the beginning of mine:

boot=/dev/hdc3
root=/dev/hdc3
lba32
install=/boot/boot.b

When you do this manually, the command 'lilo' has to be run as root for
any change to /etc/lilo.conf to take effect. I'm not familiar with the
specifics of how the SUSE installation handles Lilo, so that's about as
far as I can take it.

Tom

> Hi,

> I'm struggeling with my suse7.0 installation. I installed it on a 30GB Disk
> in a partition that it completely
> above the 1024 cylinder. I downloaded lilo21.6 and installed it. Now I like
> to install lilo in the mbr but I
> allways get the error message that I should use the lba32 keyword. How? I
> read the manpages but I only found that this option exist but not how to use
> it. At the moment I only can start linux with the installtion CD, what
> is not what I want.
> Anyone who can help me?

> Thanks in advance,

> Olaf

Newbie question on lilo

Post by Eric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> The file /etc/lilo.conf is the configuration file for Lilo. To use the
> lba32 keyword, you simply insert it in /etc/lilo.conf. For example,
> here's the beginning of mine:

> boot=/dev/hdc3

This line will make sure LILO is NOT in the MBR.
That way the lba32 line will be pretty ineffective :-)

Should be:
  boot=/dev/hda    -------> I assume you're on hda instead of hdc!

Eric

> root=/dev/hdc3
> lba32
> install=/boot/boot.b

> When you do this manually, the command 'lilo' has to be run as root for
> any change to /etc/lilo.conf to take effect. I'm not familiar with the
> specifics of how the SUSE installation handles Lilo, so that's about as
> far as I can take it.

> Tom

> > Hi,

> > I'm struggeling with my suse7.0 installation. I installed it on a 30GB Disk
> > in a partition that it completely
> > above the 1024 cylinder. I downloaded lilo21.6 and installed it. Now I like
> > to install lilo in the mbr but I
> > allways get the error message that I should use the lba32 keyword. How? I
> > read the manpages but I only found that this option exist but not how to use
> > it. At the moment I only can start linux with the installtion CD, what
> > is not what I want.
> > Anyone who can help me?

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Olaf

Newbie question on lilo

Post by Tom Pfeife » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > boot=/dev/hdc3

> This line will make sure LILO is NOT in the MBR.
> That way the lba32 line will be pretty ineffective :-)

> Should be:
>   boot=/dev/hda    -------> I assume you're on hda instead of hdc!

> Eric

That was just an example (from my system) only intended to show how to
use 'lba32'. But you're right in that I should have been more clear
about that :-)

Tom

Newbie question on lilo

Post by Eric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> > > boot=/dev/hdc3

> > This line will make sure LILO is NOT in the MBR.
> > That way the lba32 line will be pretty ineffective :-)

> > Should be:
> >   boot=/dev/hda    -------> I assume you're on hda instead of hdc!

> > Eric

> That was just an example (from my system) only intended to show how to
> use 'lba32'. But you're right in that I should have been more clear
> about that :-)

> Tom

This is in your lilo.conf??

I fail to see why the lba32 line is there,
if hda3 lies below cyl 1024, it's not needed, if hda3 is beyond cyl
1024, it won't work.

Or did you copy your lilo.conf file (which does not contain the lba32
line) and added the line as an example. Then I can understand this
again.

Eric

Newbie question on lilo

> > > This line will make sure LILO is NOT in the MBR.
> > > That way the lba32 line will be pretty ineffective :-)

> > > Should be:
> > >   boot=/dev/hda    -------> I assume you're on hda instead of hdc!

> > > Eric

> > That was just an example (from my system) only intended to show how to
> > use 'lba32'. But you're right in that I should have been more clear
> > about that :-)

> > Tom

> This is in your lilo.conf??

> I fail to see why the lba32 line is there,
> if hda3 lies below cyl 1024, it's not needed, if hda3 is beyond cyl
> 1024, it won't work.

> Or did you copy your lilo.conf file (which does not contain the lba32
> line) and added the line as an example. Then I can understand this
> again.

> Eric

It's hdc3, and it is beyond 1024 cylinders. That's why lba32 is needed.
Lilo is installed in the boot sector of /dev/hdc3 and I use another boot
manager (Bootit NG in the MBR) to reach Lilo. I have several Linux
installations on the system along with a couple of Windows installs.

As long as /dev/hdc3 is beyond 1024 cylinders, lba32 is needed for Lilo
to work. If /dev/hdc3 were completely below 1024 cylinders, lba32 would
not be needed. If /dev/hdc3 straddles 1024, lba32 may or may not be
needed, depending on the location of the kernel and other boot files. In
any case though, having lba32 in /etc/lilo.conf will not hurt anything
even if not actually needed.

I could also boot that same hdc3 partition by installing Lilo in the MBR
(boot=/dev/hda), and lba32 would also be needed in that case. I'm not
sure why you think it won't work - it does.

Tom

Newbie question on lilo

Post by Eric » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> It's hdc3, and it is beyond 1024 cylinders. That's why lba32 is needed.
> Lilo is installed in the boot sector of /dev/hdc3 and I use another boot
> manager (Bootit NG in the MBR) to reach Lilo. I have several Linux
> installations on the system along with a couple of Windows installs.

> As long as /dev/hdc3 is beyond 1024 cylinders, lba32 is needed for Lilo
> to work. If /dev/hdc3 were completely below 1024 cylinders, lba32 would
> not be needed. If /dev/hdc3 straddles 1024, lba32 may or may not be
> needed, depending on the location of the kernel and other boot files. In
> any case though, having lba32 in /etc/lilo.conf will not hurt anything
> even if not actually needed.

> I could also boot that same hdc3 partition by installing Lilo in the MBR
> (boot=/dev/hda), and lba32 would also be needed in that case. I'm not
> sure why you think it won't work - it does.

Cause I made a wrong assumption :-)

You didn't mention that you used another bootloader, which appearantly
*CAN* access data beyond cylinder 1024. So I assumed you had a default
DOS MBR, and marked hdc3 as active.
(Actually now I think further that's odd, hdc3 cannot be marked active
that way) Anyway I assumed a bootloader that wasn't capable of extended
int13 calls, so then you would have a totally useless lba32 line there
(Since you would not be able to reach that location in the first place).
Now you can access that partition, it's a different story, and you do
indeed need the line there.

Eric

1. Newbie question, how to use E-IDE with Dos and Linux from LILO?

Please Help. I just started using linux today, with my new motherboard and an ex
tra hard-drive.  I have been running DOS for years, and it's worked great. Howev
er, now I can't seem to get Dos or Linux to recognize/find my third hard drive,
when booting from lilo (though if I boot dos from a floppy it works fine).  As f
ar as linux is concerned I expect I just need to make new entries for /dev/hdc1
etc..., as it seems to find them during the partition check, though fdisk can't
seem to see the third drive for some reason; but why can't DOS seem to get to th
e third hard-disk, when I boot it from lilo?

I have tried to read all the relevant FAQ's and newsgroups in search for an
answer to this question, however, it seems that there isn't much known about
the new EIDE support in the >1.2.0 kernel.  I can't seem to get lilo, to
recognize the existance of the 3rd (in my case, but I assume this would be true
of a 4th also) drive from my (on-motherboard) EIDE controller.  I'm trying to
use linux and dos on an AMD486DX2-80 w/ PCI and an onboard EIDE controller, I
just installed the 1.2.1 kernel and re-lilo'ed to see if this would solve the
problem as I expect it should, but does not.

Any help, or pointers to the relevant FAQs/HOWTOs would be MOST appreciated!!
Please respond via e-mail, thank you.
--
  /\ The Scottish Claymore of All CyberSpace
 /\               Watcher of Anime.  Addictor to Muds. Member of OAA at CU!

--
  /\ The Scottish Claymore of All CyberSpace
 /\               Watcher of Anime.  Addictor to Muds. Member of OAA at CU!
<    E  A  N  O  R       JaDuN Comes.
 \/               Yuri, Miyu, Nene, Ranma-chan, Ryoko, B-ko!

2. <unistd.h>write(fd,buf,len) [write(2)] question...

3. newbie question: LILO

4. Logging stdout & stderr

5. Newbie LILO question

6. How can I fix superblock ?

7. LILO Probs (not newbie questions!)

8. dlclose - How to recover space

9. lilo boot - newbie question

10. Newbie LILO Question

11. newbie LILO question.....

12. Newbie question: Configuring LILO's default setting

13. Newbie Question: How do you tinker with LILO?