Changing Linux partitions to DOS FAT partitions

Changing Linux partitions to DOS FAT partitions

Post by Jeff Wa » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi all,

My system is dual boot (Linux and Win95). How can I change a Linux
patition to something Win95 can use (DOS FAT)?

thanks in advance,
Jeff Wade

Changing Linux partitions to DOS FAT partitions

Post by Jurgen Exne » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi all,

> My system is dual boot (Linux and Win95). How can I change a Linux
> patition to something Win95 can use (DOS FAT)?

You are asking two different things:

"something Win95 can use "  ==> use fdisk to change the partition ID to
whatever FS you intend to install (6 for FAT12, FAT16 and VFAT, b for
FAT32; please doublecheck the numbers, they are from memory!!)

"(DOS FAT)" ==> use DOS format or Linux mkfs to create a FAT filesystem on
that partition.

jue
--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

Post by Wei Wen » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > Hi all,

> > My system is dual boot (Linux and Win95). How can I change a Linux
> > patition to something Win95 can use (DOS FAT)?

> You are asking two different things:

> "something Win95 can use "  ==> use fdisk to change the partition ID to
> whatever FS you intend to install (6 for FAT12, FAT16 and VFAT, b for
> FAT32; please doublecheck the numbers, they are from memory!!)

> "(DOS FAT)" ==> use DOS format or Linux mkfs to create a FAT filesystem on
> that partition.

> jue
> --
> The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
> and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

I am using linux 1.2.13. And I installed windows 95 test version on my
windows 95 partition and so did FAT 32. But when I check the system id
type , there is no DOS 32 bit. So, the system id for my windows 95 drive
is still "unknown". Is there anyway to recognize FAT32 drive in linux?

wei

Changing Linux partitions to DOS FAT partitions

Post by Jurgen Exne » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am using linux 1.2.13. And I installed windows 95 test version on my
> windows 95 partition and so did FAT 32. But when I check the system id
> type , there is no DOS 32 bit. So, the system id for my windows 95 drive
> is still "unknown". Is there anyway to recognize FAT32 drive in linux?

1.2.13 is quite outdated. Not sure, if the FAT32 driver will work with that
old kernel.

Check http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/fat32.html for more info
about FAT32 under LInux

jue

--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

1. Conversion from Linux partition to DOS FAT partition

I have installed Linux with kernel 1.2.1, slakware version on CD-ROM
a year ago. Now that I need more disk space, I bought another drive
and hooked it to the same controller. Bought an enhenced controller
for the cd-rom drive and configure the system for the new hardware.

The question I have is: Can I reformat the linux partition to DOS-FAT
(or NT partition) partition or vice-versa? I want to make 2GB drive
to have NT and Linux patition on each half and reformat 540MB for DOS.

Any comments, pointers, do-don't appreciated...

--
cevher

2. Learning UNIX on a Macintosh

3. Changing DOS partition to Linux partition

4. chkconfig question

5. changing the linux partition to a DOS partition

6. test, please ignore

7. add a small partition (fat) before my linux-partition (reiser)

8. Sound Card Setting

9. Reading Dos FAT partition from linux

10. How to write to DOS(fat) partition from Linux rescue.

11. Linux Filesystem on FAT partition (DOS)

12. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

13. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition