/dev/hdc not a blocking device???

Post by evan lunsfo » Sat, 15 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I just replaced a mitsumi atapi cd-rom under warranty for an
identical model, and ever since when I try to mount the cd-rom I am
getting an error message stating that /dev/hdc is not a blocking
device.  I ran "stat hdc" and verified that /dev/hdc is blocking.  I
am running the Caldera Network Desktop 1.0 on a Pentium 100 w/40mg of
ram.  Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. cdrom mount error: kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device?

when i try to mount (mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom) my Acer 685A
8x cdrom, i get the following error:

The kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device (maybe 'insmod
driver'?)

my setup is Asus P5a with ali 15x3 chipset on rh 6.0  in order to load
from the cdrom when installing i passed the following to boot:  linux
hdc=cdrom.  so install worked.  OK so i recompiled the kernel, version
2.2.9, and applied the ide patch at www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu to get the
kernel to "see" my chipset correctly.  so now it sees the chipset and
performance is better.  i had to remove the linux hdc=cdrom bit from
lilo otherwise it wouldnt boot at all, and in any event, with the new
ali chipset support, the system should find the cdrom on its own.

of course in the block devices section of xconfig i compiled in

Normal PC Floppy disk support
Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk ... support
Include IDE/ATA-2 DISK support
Include ide/atapi cdrom support
Generic PCI IDE chipset support
Use DMA by default when available
ALI M15x3 chipset support

i do not really want to use SCSI emulation, and i do not believe it
should be necessary since the ACER 685A is a standard IDE/ATAPI drive.
Obviously, the error is inviting me to try a driver module.  should this
be necessary?  wWhat am i missing here?

tom bergerson

2. prob with ppp to a nt server

3. mount: /dev/hdc is not a block device

4. help-system hang

5. HELP!: cdrom problem----> hdc not a valid block device

6. Midi and OSS sound

7. IDE HD "hdc is not a valid block device"?!

8. Can't get the SparQ (ext. parallel version) drive to work

9. /dev/hdc not a dlock device

10. Kernel (2.2.9) dos not recognize syjet (/dev/sda1) as a block device

11. MKINITRD: mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/loop0 as a block device

12. /dev/sda4 not a valid block device?

13. Help : Mount : /dev/hdb is not a block device