How to install Red Hat from PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM?

How to install Red Hat from PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM?

Post by Mark Alexand » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

I'm attempting to install Red Hat 4.1 on a laptop equipped with an
Adaptec 1460 PCMCIA SCSI adapter.  There seems to be a problem with
the script /etc/pcmcia/scsi.  The script is being run when the system
detects the SCSI card, but it can't find the grep or fuser programs it
needs.  The boot and supplemental diskettes used in the Red Hat
installation don't contain either of these programs, so I have a hard
time believing that PCMCIA SCSI could ever work when installing Red
Hat 4.1.

Is there something really obvious I'm missing here, or should
I give up and try Red Hat 4.2?

How to install Red Hat from PCMCIA SCSI CD-ROM?

Post by Mark Alexand » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

I'm attempting to install Red Hat 4.1 on a laptop equipped with an
Adaptec 1460 PCMCIA SCSI adapter.  There seems to be a problem with
the script /etc/pcmcia/scsi.  The script is being run when the system
detects the SCSI card, but it can't find the grep or fuser programs it
needs.  The boot and supplemental diskettes used in the Red Hat
installation don't contain either of these programs, so I have a hard
time believing that PCMCIA SCSI could ever work when installing Red
Hat 4.1.

Is there something really obvious I'm missing here, or should
I give up and try Red Hat 4.2?

1. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

Hello,

Can anyone help.  I've tried installing Red Hat with no sucess.  Here
are the problems:

1) During installation CD-ROM can't be found for Red Hat source.  The
CD-ROM is an early NEC 3x SCSI.  I've tried copying CD-ROM to a hard
drive.

2) My SCSI drives are not recognized by Red Hat.  When I told Red Hat
that the source is on /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 and msdos type, it said
/dev/sdb was not a block device.  When I tried to do a Linux fdisk on
/dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 I got an error message that said "unable to open
device".   I even tried fdisk on a hard drive that had no DOS
partitions - same result.

Installations attempted:
        -1 floppy and CD-ROM
        -3 floppies and hard drive

My MB is a P90 OPTI/AMI-ISA/VLB/PCI using a NCR53c810 PCI SCSI
controller.  I read a FAQ somewhere that said this MB had problems
running Linux, but didn't give any details.  I guess that explains it.
However, has anyone got this type of MB to run Linux?

thanks,
-gary

2. hexadecimal arithmetic in awk

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. script or command to find all scripts (ksh, sh, perl, etc) in a workspace

5. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

6. failover high availabilty solutions ???

7. Need help getting Red Hat 5.1 to see my SCSI CD-ROM

8. 3-COM, Impact IQ moving from Win95 to Linux

9. Red Hat lilo problem with ATAPI CD-ROM and SCSI disk

10. red hat 5.1 and scsi cd-rom

11. CD-ROM troubles installing Red Hat 4.2

12. Red Hat Install locks up at CD-ROM question

13. 7.2 Install cannot find Red Hat CD-ROM