kernel panic on a 2.2.5 kernel new compile

kernel panic on a 2.2.5 kernel new compile

Post by Timothy Litwille » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I just compiled a new kernel that I downloaded, I configured it as best
I knew how, but I must have missed something

I get this just before it hangs

request-modules[ide-disk]: Root fs not mounted
hdb: driver not present
VFS: cannot open root device 03:41

I saved my old kernel and put both in lilo.conf so I can boot fine with
the 2.2.3-ac4 kernel that I was using.

The machine is a PII 266 - with 80 meg ram
win98 is on the first hard drive hda1 is the partition that I mount to
see it
lilo resides on hda
linux is on the second drive

kernel panic on a 2.2.5 kernel new compile

Post by Bob Marti » Tue, 13 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Looks like you compiled the ide support as a module, so it can't mount your
root file system. Try compiling the ide support directly into the kernel.

> I just compiled a new kernel that I downloaded, I configured it as best
> I knew how, but I must have missed something

> I get this just before it hangs

> request-modules[ide-disk]: Root fs not mounted
> hdb: driver not present
> VFS: cannot open root device 03:41

> I saved my old kernel and put both in lilo.conf so I can boot fine with
> the 2.2.3-ac4 kernel that I was using.

> The machine is a PII 266 - with 80 meg ram
> win98 is on the first hard drive hda1 is the partition that I mount to
> see it
> lilo resides on hda
> linux is on the second drive

kernel panic on a 2.2.5 kernel new compile

Post by gour » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

try to load the  script file for Xconfig from redhat site in make
Xconfig
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/kernel-2.2/kernel2.2-config

then put off module scsi pci2000 and 2001 ( module not found failed to
make bzImage)

erase /lib/modules/ preeferred symlink ( cause not boot correctly
after upgrade finding modules dependecies freeze)
et i hope for it will be working fine ( it worked for me )
gourou

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:15:51 -0500, Timothy Litwiller

Post by Sascha Ulbran » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> This really begs the question: Why is this available as a module if when
> you compile it as a module it results in an unbootable kernel?

> Anyone????

Quite easy: My computer boots from /dev/sda5(SCSI) and my only
CD-ROM-drive is connected to /dev/hda. During boottime the IDE-module
is not needed and when running the system it is automatically
loaded. Of course SCSI must be compiled into the kernel.

--
cya _    _
 _ //   (_'

kernel panic on a 2.2.5 kernel new compile

Post by Timothy Litwille » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

thanks all, I apprciated the suggestion but seemed to e digging a deeper and
deeper hole, so with a fresh install and then the 2.2.5 rps from redhat
everything is working.

> try to load the  script file for Xconfig from redhat site in make
> Xconfig
> http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/kernel-2.2/kernel2.2-config

> then put off module scsi pci2000 and 2001 ( module not found failed to
> make bzImage)

> erase /lib/modules/ preeferred symlink ( cause not boot correctly
> after upgrade finding modules dependecies freeze)
> et i hope for it will be working fine ( it worked for me )
> gourou

> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:15:51 -0500, Timothy Litwiller

> >I just compiled a new kernel that I downloaded, I configured it as best
> >I knew how, but I must have missed something

> >I get this just before it hangs

> >request-modules[ide-disk]: Root fs not mounted
> >hdb: driver not present
> >VFS: cannot open root device 03:41
> >Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:41

> >I saved my old kernel and put both in lilo.conf so I can boot fine with
> >the 2.2.3-ac4 kernel that I was using.

> >The machine is a PII 266 - with 80 meg ram
> >win98 is on the first hard drive hda1 is the partition that I mount to
> >see it
> >lilo resides on hda
> >linux is on the second drive

1. compiling ANY new kernel gives "Kernel Panic"...HELP!

Can someone out there help me?  I've been compiling new kernels for a while now
but I can't compile any newer or older ones right now.  I've been running
1.3.25 for a long time now.  Here's what happens:

1.  I compile a new kernel just fine and re-lilo.  But when I reboot into the
        new kernel, it just gives me a kernel panic saying it can't find the
        root device.

2.  I've done an rdev on them and they all think my root partition is where it
        actually is.  So why can't any of the others find it, yet the old kernel
        (1.3.25) will.

Here's what rdev outputs:

  {area1s24:/} /sbin/rdev vmlinuz
  Root device /dev/hdb3
  {area1s24:/} /sbin/rdev vmlinuz.new
  Root device /dev/hdb3

Please help!

                                                        Thanks,

                                                        Michael

--
Michael David Knight           God wanted man                  \    /
Georgia Tech (404)206-0194     to fly, that's              _____-/\-_____

2. gcc vs egcs

3. Kernel panic after compiling new kernel... help!

4. new to Linux, quick question

5. Problems when boot new kernel 2.5.66 kernel panic

6. Problem with Linux box as PPP gateway

7. Kernel panic on running newely compiled kernel

8. Trouble with inittab file

9. I just compiled kernel 2.0.1 and now I getr a kernel panic!

10. New Kernel error: Kernel panic

11. Kernel Panic for the new kernel

12. Help!I just compiled kernel 2.0.1 and now I get a kernel panic!

13. Help meeee!!I just compiled kernel 2.0.1 and now I get a kernel panic!!