ethernet card config

Post by jim » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:45:59

Hi there,

A networking/ethernet card config problem:

 I have installed Mandrake on a machine which has what Windows called a
"3Com Etherlink 10/100 PCI for Complete Pc Management NIC (3C905C-TX)."
However, on startup Linux identifies it as "3Com 3c905C Tornado" and gives
the error "***INVALID CHECKSUM 002f***".
It identifies the card as being at 0xd800 with IRQ 10, which is what Windows
thought too.
The driver installed is 3c59x.c and the card is installed (term?) as eth0.

When I try to use dhcpc to configure networking, it times out. I take it
this is due to the ethernet card not working - is this correct?
If so, what do I need to do to get it working? Bear in mind that I don't
know anything about Linux - for example, which files control the
configuration of the card.

If this is too involved for a specific answer, where can I find a general
troubleshooting guide for this kind of thing?

    Thanks.

ethernet card config

Post by S. Uma » Sun, 18 Feb 2001 01:46:52

See if Mandrake has 3c90x driver - this is the correct one for 905C-TX
--

Prof. S. Umar
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy

http://compsci.cas.vanderbilt.edu/~umar/resu.htm

1. Ethernet card config question

I've just installed a new Ethernet card: a 3Com 509 in my system, and am
having some minor problems.  I'm running a relatively new (6-months old?)
version of Slackware (the exact revision escapes me at this hour).

I've rebuilt the kernel to install 3Com drivers, configured the appropriate
files in /etc/rc.d, and everything seems fine....except that the kernel isn't
testing/initializing/installing the card when it boots.  The failure mode I
see is that eth0 isn't recognized as a valid device by ifconfig.  I know the
card is fine, since Win95 recognized it automatically.

I've studied the HOWTO's for this and don't SEEM to have missed anything. Is
there a subtle (but important ;-) step I've missed?

Thanks,

John.

--

 Ph.D. Candidate        WWW,PGP key:  http://www-flash.stanford.edu/~heinlein
 Computer Systems Lab       Gates Bldg. 3A, Room 354; Stanford, CA 94305-9030

2. How to install fonts into gs??

3. Orinoco pcmcia ethernet card config problem with Suse 8.0

4. Watching others X windows

5. Ethernet card config

6. Help with GNOME

7. SCM PCMCIA ethernet card config

8. Stdio and fork/exit weirdness

9. Changing Ethernet Card Config

10. Ethernet card config - please help!

11. ethernet card config

12. Ethernet card config at boot ???

13. Ethernet Card Config and Recognition??