lilo: linux 1

lilo: linux 1

Post by sfcyb.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



under normal conditions I would use the bios passwd to stop end users
from gaining root access by rebooting and entering "linux 1" at the lilo
prompt. Since I now need to install a dual boot box, using the bios
passwd is no longer an option. Getting rid of lilo is not an option
because of some very odd politics. Can anyone suggest a way to stop
"linux 1" from dropping directly into root without a passwd? I would
like to have a different passwd from the root passwd in case the root
passwd is forgotten... Hey, it's been known to happen...

Matt

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

lilo: linux 1

Post by gab » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Quote:>because of some very odd politics. Can anyone suggest a way to stop
>"linux 1" from dropping directly into root without a passwd? I would
>like to have a different passwd from the root passwd in case the root
>passwd is forgotten... Hey, it's been known to happen...

Buy System Commander to allow you to multi boot.  You could set a
password on the Linux option and not set a password to boot into any
other operating system...

gab

 
 
 

lilo: linux 1

Post by korth.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:02:25 GMT,


>under normal conditions I would use the bios passwd to stop end users
>from gaining root access by rebooting and entering "linux 1" at the lilo
>prompt. Since I now need to install a dual boot box, using the bios
>passwd is no longer an option. Getting rid of lilo is not an option
>because of some very odd politics. Can anyone suggest a way to stop
>"linux 1" from dropping directly into root without a passwd? I would
>like to have a different passwd from the root passwd in case the root
>passwd is forgotten... Hey, it's been known to happen...

>Matt

man lilo.conf and read the bits about password and restricted.
 
 
 

lilo: linux 1

Post by SK » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




>On Sun, 21 Nov 1999 18:02:25 GMT,

>>under normal conditions I would use the bios passwd to stop end users
>>from gaining root access by rebooting and entering "linux 1" at the lilo
>>prompt. Since I now need to install a dual boot box, using the bios
>>passwd is no longer an option.

I must be missing something - I use dual boot on my laptop & the bios
password kicks in long before lilo - is there some waycaround this I
don't know about??
- - - - - -
__ _ _ _ _ _

"The future has a way of arriving unnanounced..." George F. Will

 
 
 

1. Q: diff btwn "LILO: linux single" and "LILO: linux 1" ?

I've been trying without success to boot my (slackware 3.1) linux
system single-user by typing "linux single" at the LILO: prompt.  I
saw a message go by (really fast) during the boot sequence that said
somthing like "booting single user" but when all is said-and-done, the
machine is up multi-user; I did a `runlevel' and it showed that the
current level was 3.  Also everything was mounted and all the usual
daemons were running. So it was clearly not running single user.

Furthermore, when as root I do `init s' while in multi-user mode it comes up
in multi-user mode again.

Finally based on some messages I saw in `comp.os.linux.setep' I tried
typing `linux 1' at the LILO: prompt and it worked.

1) Is there an FAQ explicitly expaining the ins-and-outs of all this.
   I've looked and can't find one.

2) Any guesses on why my system is behaving like it is?

3) Why have I seen so many people giving the 'linux single'
   advice as a general rule?  My system is (I certainly hope)
   a vanilla Slackware system, so this advice ought to be
   failing for many others.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide.

Dean S. Messing
Digital Video Research
Sharp Laboratories of America

2. RedHat 5.1

3. 850MB disk + LILO + Linux + No DOS: How do I set it up?

4. Perl script needeeded

5. Help required with LILO+LINUX+NT mess

6. pppd as server/router *almost* working

7. After running LILO linux doesn't find the boot drive anymore

8. Q: samba login error

9. LILO: Linux on one drive, NT/Win95 on another?

10. Promise ATA 100 and boot problems (lilo/linux)

11. Dual boot w/LILO: Linux(hda) & win95(hdc)

12. Lilo, Linux and 2(!) primary DOS partitions

13. LILO: linux on one disk, win98 on another = disaster