Red Hat Install locks up at CD-ROM question

Red Hat Install locks up at CD-ROM question

Post by Ezekiel Krahl » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Red Hat via CD-ROM, using "ezstart.bat"
routine...but it locks up on the CD-ROM question.  If I tell it to
"autoprode", it locks up. If I fill in the module options myself, it
freezes up immediately after I press [enter].

I use a CD-ROM attached to my Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16-bit sound
card. The CD-ROM is a Matsushita CR-562-x 5.00...the same as the
Panasonic that is listed in the Linux CDROM-howto  file. This sound
card is the original, Sound Blaster 16.

I'm not sure though, if I'm filling in the module options
correctly...especially since I can't find any examples of how to do
this in the Linux How-To section. Installation of CD-ROM asks for:
IO base, IRQ, and label. Here is an example of how I answered:

230h,5,Red

I also tried:

230,5,Red

I'm not even sure what it means by "label"...but the label of the Reh
Hat  CD is of course "Red".  Also, when booting up, the Matsushita
specs appear onscreen, indication 230h as the IO...even though my
config.sys has it set at 220...and if I change it to 230, it doesn't
load the CD-ROM driver.

I don't really know what IRQ is used by my CD-ROM, so I used the one
for my sound card: 5. Windoze95's own System Properties manager does
not reveal the IRQ, nor does the DOS program syschk.  Syschk does say,
however, that IRQs 12 and 15 are "unknown", and IRQs 7, 10, and 11 are
open. Does anyone know of a handy freeware utility that will give me
the correct IRQ for my CD-ROM?

My system is an Intel Pentium 120MHz with 96MB RAM. I have 639kb
conventional memory freed up, with no extraneous TSRs...just loaded
DOS high, umb...and himem.sys and emm386.sys. It is running on MS-DOS
7.0, including Windoze95.

Here is my config.sys:

DEVICE=D:\WIN95\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=D:\WIN95\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
REM SB563.SYS = 10,512
DEVICEHIGH=C:\SB563.SYS /D:MSCD000 /SBP:220
DOS=HIGH
DOS=UMB
FILES=50
FCBS=16,0
BREAK=ON

Here is my autoexec.bat:

LH E:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /E /L:R /M:20 /V
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP

I'm hoping someone out there has the same CD-ROM/Sound Card setup, and
can tell me what I'm doing wrong (or *not doing wrong). Thanks in
advance!

---
My web site kicks (but never*s) butt!
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Michael Wis » Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I'm trying to install Red Hat via CD-ROM, using "ezstart.bat"
> routine...but it locks up on the CD-ROM question.  If I tell it to
> "autoprode", it locks up. If I fill in the module options myself, it
> freezes up immediately after I press [enter].

> I use a CD-ROM attached to my Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16-bit sound
> card. The CD-ROM is a Matsushita CR-562-x 5.00...the same as the
> Panasonic that is listed in the Linux CDROM-howto  file. This sound
> card is the original, Sound Blaster 16.

> I'm not sure though, if I'm filling in the module options
> correctly...especially since I can't find any examples of how to do
> this in the Linux How-To section. Installation of CD-ROM asks for:
> IO base, IRQ, and label. Here is an example of how I answered:

> 230h,5,Red

> I also tried:

> 230,5,Red

> I'm not even sure what it means by "label"...but the label of the Reh
> Hat  CD is of course "Red".  Also, when booting up, the Matsushita
> specs appear onscreen, indication 230h as the IO...even though my
> config.sys has it set at 220...and if I change it to 230, it doesn't
> load the CD-ROM driver.

> I don't really know what IRQ is used by my CD-ROM, so I used the one
> for my sound card: 5. Windoze95's own System Properties manager does
> not reveal the IRQ, nor does the DOS program syschk.  Syschk does say,
> however, that IRQs 12 and 15 are "unknown", and IRQs 7, 10, and 11 are
> open. Does anyone know of a handy freeware utility that will give me
> the correct IRQ for my CD-ROM?

> My system is an Intel Pentium 120MHz with 96MB RAM. I have 639kb
> conventional memory freed up, with no extraneous TSRs...just loaded
> DOS high, umb...and himem.sys and emm386.sys. It is running on MS-DOS
> 7.0, including Windoze95.

> Here is my config.sys:

> DEVICE=D:\WIN95\HIMEM.SYS
> DEVICE=D:\WIN95\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
> REM SB563.SYS = 10,512
> DEVICEHIGH=C:\SB563.SYS /D:MSCD000 /SBP:220
> DOS=HIGH
> DOS=UMB
> FILES=50
> FCBS=16,0
> BREAK=ON

> Here is my autoexec.bat:

> LH E:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /E /L:R /M:20 /V
> SET TEMP=C:\TEMP

> I'm hoping someone out there has the same CD-ROM/Sound Card setup, and
> can tell me what I'm doing wrong (or *not doing wrong). Thanks in
> advance!

I also have the original SB16ASP with a 2x CR-563.

I would try booting off the boot disk. And when the LILO boot comes up,
type:

linux sbpcd=0x220,SoundBlaster

and press enter. That did the trick for me (although I run my CD-ROM
drive runs at 0x230)

BTW, the correct 'label' for your CD-ROM drive is SoundBlaster.

---
Michael J. Wise        -- Linux user and recreational webmaster
wiseman at infinet.com -- http://stpeter.ml.org/mike/

Post by Ezekiel Krahl » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>I'm trying to install Red Hat via CD-ROM, using "ezstart.bat"
>routine...but it locks up on the CD-ROM question.  If I tell it to
>"autoprode", it locks up. If I fill in the module options myself, it
>freezes up immediately after I press [enter].

My problem has been solved, thanks to someone who posted me via my
e-mail address. My CD-ROM is to be set at:

     sbpcd=0x230,SoundBlaster

The Red Hat installation is confusing on this setup part, and need not
be this way. However, I now have another problem re. getting Linux to
recognize partitions. If curious, go to my new message called "Linux
won't acknowledge partition."

---