Using kppp under Enlightment, I'm trying to connect to my ISP.
This is what I have in my /var/log/messages.
: pppd 2.3.7 started by root, uid 0
: Using interface ppp0
: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
: can't open indirect secret file josie
: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requets
: Connecyion terminated.
: Connect time 0.7 minutes.
- In my /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file I put: username * password *
username being my real username with my real password of course. My
ISP uses PAP. I asked them.
- In my /etc/ppp/options file, I removed the lock entry. Otherwise kppp
complains that there is already a lock.
- In kppp|setup|Device I chose /dev/ttyS1 under Serial Device|Modem
Device instead of /dev/modem
- In kppp|setup|Account - Edit Accounts|DNS I entered 2 DNS given by my
ISP, but no Domain name.
1) What is this: can't open indirect secret file josie
Is it a secret file on my system or on my ISP?
2) There is no /var/ppp/log file. why?
3) When I setup my modem from the console using setserial /dev/ttyS1 irq
10, the next time I reboot the modem it set back to the default irq.
Someone suggested that I place this line at the end of
/etc/rc.d/rc.local. But when I reboot my machine it does not set it up.
I use RH 6.0.