Can root login via telnet? How?

Post by Rudolf Potuc » Sun, 05 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

I have a linux firewall running with no monitor, so I need to log into the
box externally to do administration. I could hook up a dumb terminal to do it
or I could log in via the local network. However that is extremely tedious
because I can't log in directly as root.

Is there a way to log in as root instead of using su all the time?

Thanks, Rudolf

--

Post by Chris Bro » Sun, 05 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello!

> I have a linux firewall running with no monitor, so I need to log into the
> box externally to do administration. I could hook up a dumb terminal to do it
> or I could log in via the local network. However that is extremely tedious
> because I can't log in directly as root.

> Is there a way to log in as root instead of using su all the time?

It's probably best that you *don't* log in as root any other way than su.

--
"In chaos and riots, the screech of machines |  This space dedicated to
 No right and no wrong and no in between     |    apocalyptic hamsters.