1.2 Gig EIDE & Linux

Post by Ashley Winte » Tue, 16 May 1995 04:00:00

: Hey guys,

: Well, I got my EIDE hard drive in and of course Linux won't recognize it.
: I've never had a hard drive this large so I wasn't aware of the problems
: associated with > 1024 cylinders. HELP. What can I do. I want to put
: Linux on it as well as DOS. After running Disk Manager I'm able to use
: the drive in DOS but Linux won't recognize it. Anyone have any
: suggestions. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on but so far no
: luck. Please help me. Thanks.
: --
: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
: I don't mind what Congress does, as long as they don't do it in the
: streets and frighten the horses.    -- Victor Hugo

Disk Manager is bad, get rid of it. Then put a small, 150 megs or so,
Linux root partition below the 1024'th cylynder. Put a large /usr
partition and a swap partition above the 1024'th cylynder and edit your
/etc/fstab so a line like

/dev/hdb2        /usr        ext2        defaults

appears and the /usr partition will be mounted at boot. Use any remaining
space below the 1024th cylynder for a DOS partition if you still want one.

1.2 Gig EIDE & Linux

Post by ramk » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

RTFM /pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Large-IDE.

Cheers
ramki

1.2 Gig EIDE & Linux

Post by tinusz nijmeije » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

>Hey guys,
>Well, I got my EIDE hard drive in and of course Linux won't recognize it.
>I've never had a hard drive this large so I wasn't aware of the problems
>associated with > 1024 cylinders. HELP. What can I do. I want to put
>Linux on it as well as DOS. After running Disk Manager I'm able to use
>the drive in DOS but Linux won't recognize it. Anyone have any
>suggestions. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on but so far no
>luck. Please help me. Thanks.
>--
>I don't mind what Congress does, as long as they don't do it in the
>streets and frighten the horses.    -- Victor Hugo

make your computer aware (if necessary, like with older bios'es) of the eide hard with
your eide controller card.
do not install diskmanager, or uninstall it in some way ( I had to delete all
partitions on my drive AND run <fdisk /MBR> in dos.
hope this helps
tinusz

1.2 Gig EIDE & Linux

Post by Mark Philli » Thu, 18 May 1995 04:00:00

If you are using a kernel newer than about 1.1.40 then there are no
problems with big drives ONCE linux is up.

All the following comments are based on using kernel 1.2.1 (from
slackware 2.2.0)....

I believe the following to be correct, but use at your own risk!!! My
root partition currently start on a real cylinder just under 1024, BUT
extends way beyond.

The linux partition containing the kernel must be on a cylinders
completely <1024 if you are booting via LILO (or probably any other
bootmanager).

If you want the root partition on a cylinder > 1024 either

1) Boot the kernel from a floppy OR
2) Boot via the DOS kernel loader (forget what it is called) OR

If your BIOS supports translation or LBA (select LBA if you have
got it), you may be able to put linux anywhere!!!

The 1024 cylinder problem is because LILO uses the BIOS to load the
kernel....

If you turn translation (or preferably LBA, which implies translation
as well), your whole disk may appear to have less than 1024 cylinders
(which solves all your problems). If your disk is really big you will
still be stuck....

For example, on my drive (Quantum 730MB) 1416 cylinders, if I switch
on LBA the BIOS reports 708 cylinders. This means I can put linux
anywhere, because LILO thinks the drive has 708 cylinders which is
less than 1024. Once Linux starts the kernel reads the true geometry
from the drive and works with out problem.

I used the fdisk which came with slackware 2.2.0 (which some people
have had problems with related to extended partitions) and it worked
without problem (It automatically figured out that it needed to write
the partition table in terms of the translated address (ie. as though
I only had 708 cylinders).

All the readme files I have seen about EIDE/big drives are out of
date... I didn't have to do anything special (apart from make sure I'm
not using OnTrack or some other *:-)

Good Luck
Mark Phillips

1.2 Gig EIDE & Linux

Post by Scott Ehrli » Thu, 18 May 1995 04:00:00

To aid in my 1993 AMI BIOS AMD386 PC w/ 1 Gig EIDE drive and Linux (any
Slackware kernel release) to see > 1024 cylinders, I replaced my generic
IDE controller with a $50 EIDE one, and the controller made all the
difference.

DOS could see a full 1 Gig of space, as could Linux.

The drive, FYI, was a Western Digital.  The Disk Mangler program has been
tossed into my blank floppy pile :-)

I haven't had a problem since, except for scrounging for money to buy a
better motherboard with more RAM :-)

--

Boston ARC ftp archives: ftp oak.oakland.edu /pub/hamradio
Boston ARC Web page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc.html

1.2 Gig EIDE & Linux

Post by Charl » Mon, 17 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hey guys,

>Well, I got my EIDE hard drive in and of course Linux won't recognize it.
>I've never had a hard drive this large so I wasn't aware of the problems
>associated with > 1024 cylinders. HELP. What can I do. I want to put
>Linux on it as well as DOS. After running Disk Manager I'm able to use
>the drive in DOS but Linux won't recognize it. Anyone have any
>suggestions. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on but so far no
>luck. Please help me. Thanks.

I myself recently got a 1.2 gig EIDE drive. I simply used the regular DOS
fdisk to partition the DOS portion. I then used Linux to set up an additonal
partition for DOS beyond the 504MB limit (about 300MB), and then used the
remainder of the drive for Linux. I haven't gotten LILO to work, but a boot-
disk works fine. I used Norton Disk Doctor to make the extra DOS partition
visible to DOS. Perhaps it isn't the most effective use of the drive, but
it works, and that's all I want.

Charles

1. Instlaling Linux on a 1.2 gig EIDE HD.

Maybe someone else already ask about this, sorry, but I'm new to the
newsgroup.  I basically have 2 questions.
1.  I have a 1.2 gig Maxtor EIDE HD (partition into 5 equal sizes)
running OnTrack disk manager to "fool" DOS.  It has dos & WFW 3.11
running.  I'm planning to install Linux & OS/2 warp.  Does it matter
which one I install first? (to make my life easier)
2.  I tried installing Linux recently and followed an EIDE.TXT file I
found at  sunsite.unc.edu.  But it didn't work.  It behaved
differently than what the text file said.  Is there a FAQ or something
that can tell me how to install Linux on my HD?  Or maybe someone
suceeded in installing it on a HD > 528mb ??

HELP!

thanks,
Dian

2. Slakware 3.4 - can't access nameservers

3. LINUX 1.2.x & secondary EIDE controller setup problem

4. diald and syslogd

5. How to get Linux to run with a 1.2 gig Samsung?

6. Perl for LinuxPPC?

7. 1.2 Gig drive big enough for Linux?

8. Oldest Unix command

9. Western Digital 1.2 GIG w/ LINUX. HELP!

10. Trying to install Linux on a 1.2 gig scsi

11. Linux not recognizing my 1.2 Gig DOS Hard Drive

12. EIDE & CMD CONTRLL & EIDE CDROM & KERN 1.2.9