F*cking Boot Screen...Die Red Hat Die...

F*cking Boot Screen...Die Red Hat Die...

Post by Trevo » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:10:10

Hi guys:

Why do I get a Red Hat "graphical" boot menu after booting the kernel
from the Win2k Boot Loader???   I copyed the boot sector and set it up
so that I can boot linux from the boot loarder...  But instead of a lilo
prompt, I get a Red Hat kernel selection screen where I have to press
CTRL-X to go to the prompt.  I want to boot up and get the LILO prompt
everytime...  Not the stupid red hat screen..  Can anyone please help
me??  Here is a copy of my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda3
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
lba32
default=linux
vga=8

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda3

image=/boot/bzImage
        label=linux2
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda3

Thanks,
Trevor...

Post by Stephen Anthon » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 02:36:23

> Hi guys:

> Why do I get a Red Hat "graphical" boot menu after booting the kernel
> from the Win2k Boot Loader???   I copyed the boot sector and set it up
> so that I can boot linux from the boot loarder...  But instead of a lilo
> prompt, I get a Red Hat kernel selection screen where I have to press
> CTRL-X to go to the prompt.  I want to boot up and get the LILO prompt
> everytime...  Not the stupid red hat screen..  Can anyone please help
> me??  Here is a copy of my lilo.conf:

> boot=/dev/hda3
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> message=/boot/message
> lba32
> default=linux
> vga=8

Try commenting out the 'message=/boot/message' line and rerun lilo, try
again.

Steve

F*cking Boot Screen...Die Red Hat Die...

Post by Dances With Cro » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:56:18

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 20:40:10 -0230, Trevor staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Quote:>Why do I get a Red Hat "graphical" boot menu after booting the kernel
>from the Win2k Boot Loader???

People say the LILO: prompt is ugly.  I can see where they're coming
from, and the change to a graphical menu is all for the best IMHO.
People who don't like graphics are assumed to be capable of locating the
documentation and making the change on their own.

Quote:>so that I can boot linux from the boot loarder...  But instead of a lilo
>prompt, I get a Red Hat kernel selection screen where I have to press
>CTRL-X to go to the prompt.  I want to boot up and get the LILO prompt
>everytime...  Not the stupid red hat screen..  Can anyone please help
>me??  Here is a copy of my lilo.conf:

>message=/boot/message

/usr/share/doc/packages/lilo/README.graphics says that there is now
support for a graphical boot menu in lilo.  The graphic which is
displayed is a PCX file with a special header, and that graphic is taken
from the "message=" line in lilo.conf.  So you can move the message file
to somewhere else, then create a new message file consisting of just
plain text, or remove the message= line from your lilo.conf.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

F*cking Boot Screen...Die Red Hat Die...

Post by Tr?ütm » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:39:05

Quote:>message=/boot/message

remove this.  run lilo.

--
______________________________
Mike Troutman

Post by Chris Ahlstro » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:28:48

> >message=/boot/message

> remove this.  run lilo.

You can also replace /boot/message with a text file.  It might
say, for example, "Welcome to a Microsoft-free zone!" <grin>.
You can either modify /boot/message itself, or change the
message= line above and run lilo.

Or you can install Debian.

Chris

F*cking Boot Screen...Die Red Hat Die...

Post by M.J. Bl » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 20:30:39

[problems with graphical LILO on RH]

Quote:> Or you can install Debian.

*sigh* Yeah, let's start another distro-war ... not

--
Menno

Cloning is bad
Cloning is bad

Post by Chris Ahlstro » Sat, 21 Jul 2001 20:53:55

> [problems with graphical LILO on RH]

> > Or you can install Debian.

> *sigh* Yeah, let's start another distro-war ... not

Naw, not me.  I like both of the distros I've tried
so far (RedHat and Debian).  RedHat is pretty easy to
install; Debian's updating system is really cool.

RedHat is getting kind of bloaty;  Debian can be
trickier to install (at least on my laptop, although
the only version of RedHat that would install properly
on it was 6.0!)

They're both GNU/Linux, and the differences are far
less than their similarities.

Chris

--
[ ] Evil empire
[ ] Lovable penguin

You decide.

1. PC-NFS, printing, bannerpage. die.die.die

Hi, can someone tell me how I get rid of the accursed banner
page under 2.3 & PC-NFS.  Why is this bannerpage a default
in the first place?

Thanks in advance, -P.

--

Zoologiska Institutionen   | obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither
Stockholms Universitet     | liberty or safety. - Benjamin Franklin

2. Users

3. Zombie die die die

4. Grid Computing Expert Exchange 2003-12-02

5. /ethan die,die,die

6. Beginner's network question

7. Red Hat 7.3 install script dies with Boot sector not found

8. job offer in Switzerland: Unix System Manager

9. Sporadic/Dying PPP communication in Red Hat

10. Textedit dies on Open & Save As (Red Hat 4.2)

11. Red Hat dead/dying?

12. Red Hat install dies while mounting CD-ROM filesystem

13. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.