HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card

HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card

Post by Neal Seid » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 07:57:45

Hi,

I'm a Linux newbie and would greatly appreciate any help anyone can
provide on this.  I'm trying to install Mandrake 6.1 on a new system
with a SCSI CD ROM drive (Toshiba 3701).  I have an adaptec 1505 ISA
card which worked fine under windows.  I boot from the floppy when I get
to the SCSI adapter screen I select Adaptec 152x.  Autoprobe fails to
detect the card, as is expected since the 1505 card has no BIOS.  When I
try "specify options" and type "aha152x=0x340,9,7,1" the CD ROM does
light up briefly but the install program reports "can't find device
anywhere on your system."

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Thanks,

Neal

HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card

Post by Neal Seid » Fri, 29 Dec 2000 23:19:24

I finally figured this out.  It turns out that the IRQ jumper settings
on the card were mislabeled (i.e. the actual PCB silk screen is
wrong)!!!  Apparently Adaptec shipped a bunch before catching the
error.  Later boards, I am told, have a sticker with the correct
settings.  The correct settings can be seen in the following:

ftp://ftp.adaptec.digisle.net/manuals/installation_guides/ava1505_ig.pdf
http://www.actel.com/apps/guru/sep97/rp243.html

Also, I read that the Windows and DOS drivers don't use the IRQ at all
so although it was always set differently than I thought, it didn't
matter in that environment.  This certainly compounded the confusion.

In searching Dejanews, I see that the 152x series is notorious for
problems.  I wonder how many are due to this IRQ confusion (which I
didn't find referenced in any Dejanews reply on the topic).

Neal

> Hi,

> I'm a Linux newbie and would greatly appreciate any help anyone can
> provide on this.  I'm trying to install Mandrake 6.1 on a new system
> with a SCSI CD ROM drive (Toshiba 3701).  I have an adaptec 1505 ISA
> card which worked fine under windows.  I boot from the floppy when I get
> to the SCSI adapter screen I select Adaptec 152x.  Autoprobe fails to
> detect the card, as is expected since the 1505 card has no BIOS.  When I
> try "specify options" and type "aha152x=0x340,9,7,1" the CD ROM does
> light up briefly but the install program reports "can't find device
> anywhere on your system."

> Any suggestions on what else to try?

> Thanks,

> Neal

1. HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card

Hi,

I'm a Linux newbie and would greatly appreciate any help anyone can
provide on this.  I'm trying to install Mandrake 6.1 on a new system
with a SCSI CD ROM drive (Toshiba 3701).  I have an adaptec 1505 ISA
card which worked fine under windows.  I boot from the floppy when I get
to the SCSI adapter screen I select Adaptec 152x.  Autoprobe fails to
detect the card, as is expected since the 1505 card has no BIOS.  When I
try "specify options" and type "aha152x=0x340,9,7,1" the CD ROM does
light up briefly but the install program reports "can't find device
anywhere on your system."

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Thanks,

Neal

2. Can anybody help me out ?

3. Using IPSO

4. Linux (Debian) won't recognize ADAPTEC 29160N SCSI disk - Please help

5. RH5 Kernel compiling problem

6. Help: Linux installation boot disk won't recognize my scsi card

7. setup linux5.2 red hat

8. First time install RH 5.1, won't recognise AHA2740 scsi card

9. SCSI bootdisk won't recognize SCSI drive.

10. Installing Linux- Won't recognize hard drive

11. Can Linux recognize two Adaptec 1742A SCSI cards?

12. Linux not recognizing Adaptec AHA-1522 SCSI card