_STILL_ get "_setutent: Can't open utmp file.."

_STILL_ get "_setutent: Can't open utmp file.."

Post by elmo administrato » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Could anyone figure out what is going on here. I installed the "d" set
from
slackware (programming stuff) and now every time I open an xterm window or
ppp I get the following message:

_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

man utmp says utmp and wtmp should be in the /etc directory
grep "utmp" in paths.h gives me this:

#define _PATH_UTMP      "/etc/utmp"
#define _PATH_UTMP      "/var/adm/utmp"

So I put a utmp file in both directories, made world read/write to make
sure that wasn't the problem..... it still gives me the error.

I just started working at this place a couple of days ago, so I am not
sure what is exactly on this system.

I know it is a rather new kernel 1.2.x,  but judging by some of the
libraries (or the lack of) it is an older version of X.
i.e. libXpm.so.3.3.0 libXt.so.3.1.0 libXaw.so.3.1.0

We are eventually going to reinstall everything from scratch, because
this is a pretty mongral setup, but unti then ...

Thanks for the time/help,

Alex Spitzer

(if possible, could you reply directly)

1. _STILL_ get "_setutent: Can't open utmp file.."

[...]

2. IBM Redbook

3. "w"(ho) causes "_setutent: Can't open utmp file"

4. Dynamic ip addresses and ipchains

5. "_setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory"??

6. Apache Log

7. "_setutent: can't open utmp file" after upgrade

8. Sound recording (44.1k/stereo) on non-AV HD

9. "Can't open file" ( flat file ) and "flock()unimplemented ..."

10. _setutent: Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

11. _setutent Can't open utmp file: No such file or directory

12. _setutent: Cant'open utmp file:No such file or directory