libc5 -> libc6 and Seg. Faults

Post by Michael Sad » Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I recently installed Red Hat 5.1, and now find that many of my programs
linked with libc5 give a "segmentation fault" when I try to run them, even
though they work fine under the old set-up.  This happens, even thought I
installed the RPM package which is supposed to provide for libc
compatibility.

Interesting, when I run
ldd executable

I often find
libm.5 => not found

even though "ldconfig -v" clearly shows that libm.5 should be there.

Some of these codes are commercial and I cannot recompile them.  Is there
a trick to getting libc5 executables to run properly under Red Hat?

libc5 -> libc6 and Seg. Faults

Post by T.E.Dicke » Mon, 27 Jul 1998 04:00:00

: Very often this type of thing is caused by a "third party" library (i.e.
: ncurses) crosslinking libc5 and libc6.
um. not really (at least not reported on newsgroups).  the most common
problems with ncurses in this area are:

        + people symlink'ing incompatible versions together and wondering
          why the result doesn't work

        + people upgrading from an obsolete version of ncurses and (a) not
          reading the installation note about the location of terminfo, or
          (b) relying on a package made by someone who didn't test that the
          /usr/lib/terminfo link works.

--
Thomas E.*ey

http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. debian libc5 --> libc6 question......

I'm a little confused about how to go about upgrading to libc6.  as
far as I can tell libc5-libc6-Mini-HOWTO basically says to upgrade the
linux dynamic linker and then go ahead and install the libc6 package.
when I try to install libc6_2.0.7pre1-4.deb it says that it conflicts
with libc5. Should I force it? I'm trying to avoid installing the
unstable distribution. Any help would be great,
thanks,

2. LBX missing in LinkKit-3.1

3. Shared libraries:libc5<-->libc6

4. Changing Default X Color Depth w/3DFX

5. Upgrading libc5 -> libc6 in debian safely

6. New Boot with LS-120 Floppy

7. Debian libc5 to libc6 (bo->hamm) Mini-HOWTO

8. Dosemu: how to mount user home directory?

9. wake_up_interruptible(&tty->read_wait) => seg-fault?

10. ESDI error -> seg fault

11. probs with depmode, modprobe, fsck -> seg fault :-(

12. apt-get --> seg fault

13. Large programs + 1.3.xx --> seg faults