Installing a Debian package into a Slackware box

Installing a Debian package into a Slackware box

Post by HH Nguy » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

        Hello,
        I am contemplating installing a Debian package, say x.deb,
into my computer box, which is based on Slackware3.2.
        Is there an easy way to do that, assuming I will take care
of package dependency by means other than the Debian way?  What compression
format is .deb ?  It does not seem to be tgz, cpio, does it?
        What I am thinking of doing is to build the boot and root
diskettes the Debian way, and use them (specifically, dselect) to
install the package of interest.  Is there any other more direct
way?
        Thanks for your help.
        HH Nguyen

Post by J.H.M. Dass » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

>    I am contemplating installing a Debian package, say x.deb,
>into my computer box, which is based on Slackware3.2.  Is there an easy
>way to do that, assuming I will take care of package dependency by
>means other than the Debian way?

Yes. See the Debian FAQ (http://www.debian.org/FAQ/), "4.3 Can I use
Debian packages (".deb" files) on my RedHat/Slackware/... Linux
system? Can I use RedHat packages (".rpm" files) on my Debian GNU/Linux
system? "

Quote:>What compression format is .deb ?  It does not seem to be tgz, cpio,
>does it?

.deb files are ar(1) files, consisting of several .tgz parts. You can
unpack them using ar(1), or you can build 'dpkg-deb' from the 'dpkg'
source distribution.

Quote:>What I am thinking of doing is to build the boot and root diskettes the
>Debian way, and use them (specifically, dselect) to install the package
>of interest.

If you are willing to go this far, you should consider going all the way
and restart with a full Debian system.

HTH,
Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking

1. Help compiling Debian packages for Slackware

I'm having considerable trouble trying to compile the ical binary
from the the misc Debian package.  At first I was getting undefined
variables.  It looked to be a problem with gcc though.  The following
is an example of the problem:

        for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
        }

        for (i=0; i < 10; i++) {
        }

the make would fail saying that "i" was undefined at the second for
loop.  I moved the declaration above the first "for" loop and I was
able to complete the make.  I got all the objects compiled but now I'm
running into linking problems.  One of the objects I'm having problems
with is tclBasic.o.  I might have been able to fix it but I can't find
it  (not even with find / -name tclBasic.o -print).

If anyone can help me with this specific problem or knows an easier
way to put Debian programs on a slackware system, it would be greatly
appreciated

DSC Communications, Corp.               (214) 477-8639
1000 Coit Road, Plano TX 75075

2. severe problems with linux (2.4.x) and dualhead xf86 (4.0.x)

3. Out Of Box Unix Security -- Any *specific* comments on Slackware, Debian, etc versions?

4. unix shell functions and capturing their return values...

5. Q: Text copy Debian package installed list?

6. How can I add swap space

7. Debian: Installed package list

8. possible problem binding ports in 3.3-RELEASE

9. Debian package manager help (to install epplet for enlightenment)

10. install debian packages in hedhat 5.2?

11. Help:Installing X fonts packaged for Debian in Redhat

12. How do I install Debian packages from a CD?

13. install pcmcia-cs (2.9.5.3) package on Debian 1.2 - problem