Creating Backup boot diskette for RedHat Linux

Creating Backup boot diskette for RedHat Linux

Post by Leena Sing » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
  I have had RedHat Linux 3.0 running on my PC for about 4 months now
and I am generally very happy with everything.  However, things have
been so stable that I expect something to go awry anytime now.

When I installed linux on my machine, I also created a boot diskette.
I'd like to have a backup, just in case, but don't know how to do so.
With Slackware, I just needed to copy the vmlinuz image to the floppy
but RedHat seems to be different - could anyone help me here?

Thanks a lot,
-- leena singh
Research Assistant,  Center for Advanced Technology in
        Robotics, Automation and Manufacturing
http://cat.rpi.edu/~singh         Lab. Tel: (518)276-8725
                                        Off. Tel: (518)276-8725

Post by Eric Chan » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,
>   I have had RedHat Linux 3.0 running on my PC for about 4 months now
> and I am generally very happy with everything.  However, things have
> been so stable that I expect something to go awry anytime now.

> When I installed linux on my machine, I also created a boot diskette.
> I'd like to have a backup, just in case, but don't know how to do so.
> With Slackware, I just needed to copy the vmlinuz image to the floppy
> but RedHat seems to be different - could anyone help me here?

> Thanks a lot,
> -- leena singh
> Research Assistant,  Center for Advanced Technology in
>         Robotics, Automation and Manufacturing
> http://cat.rpi.edu/~singh               Lab. Tel: (518)276-8725
>                                         Off. Tel: (518)276-8725

Hi Leena.  Use makebootdisk, available from any Slackware live
archive.  It works very well.  It should work with any system
if the location where it expects the kernel is watched.

Eric

Creating Backup boot diskette for RedHat Linux

Post by Scott Selle » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>  I have had RedHat Linux 3.0 running on my PC for about 4 months now
>and I am generally very happy with everything.  However, things have
>been so stable that I expect something to go awry anytime now.

>When I installed linux on my machine, I also created a boot diskette.
>I'd like to have a backup, just in case, but don't know how to do so.
>With Slackware, I just needed to copy the vmlinuz image to the floppy
>but RedHat seems to be different - could anyone help me here?

If you simply want a bootdisk (bootable kernel, that's all)
then you can copy /vmlinuz to a floppy with the 'dd' command:

dd if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0

anything on the floppy will be destroyed, but you'll have a kernel that
points to your root partition.  This works fine in Redhat.

However, if you want to make up some recovery disks, with a complete set
of utilities for fixing problems should your file system zonk out, I'd
suggest that you look into a package like yard-1.7.  You can find it,
and some other similar packages, at sunsite.  If you want to persue this
further, I'd also suggest looking at the Bootdisk-HOWTO.  With the yard
package, I've built some recovery disks that include taper to access
tape backups.  I'm sleeping a little better now.  :-)

Good luck,
--
Scott Sellers  |